The Sweetness of My Son...and a reminder of reality!

Yesterday, I had a wonderful experience as I was getting ready to leave for work.  On a typical day, John Gannon is whining because I had to wake him up and is pleading with me in that high-crying pitch voice, "PLEASE let me lay back down and get my nap over with."  Of course, this never happens during the day when I am home or need a break! Meanwhile, little Jackson is crying in an effort to tell me he hates being strapped into a carseat and the he prefers to be mobile--"I mean, goodness moma, get me out of these straps and let me crawl around.  I have stuff I need to put in my mouth!"  And me, well I am just trying to remember to grab my lunch, keys, purse, and make it out the door with all of that and both children.

But Friday was different.  John Gannon woke up in a peaceful mood, telling stories and laughing.  Jackson was content in the carseat, and I only had to grab my purse--keys were stapped on it and I had my lunch already at work.  As we were getting ready to walk toward the door--John Gannon in the lead--he says "Moma you look pretty."  I thought I was hallucinating--I mean, he wasn't even looking at me so I thought I had surely mistaken.  So in my motherly voice I asked "Huh?"  He said, "You look pretty today."  Well, my heart just melted!  I immediately knew that I had to reinforce this behavior--his future wife would definately thank me one day!  So, I leaned over, touched his shoulders and said "John Gannon, thank you so much, that is such a nice..." and about that time, he opened the door, and it popped me right in the head.  So much for the sweetness, and welcome back to that reality of a typical morning! 

Comments