A Horse & Perseverance

Well, the Cox boys and I made it to the Jeep this morning to begin our morning journey to Ms. Rachel's house.  As we passed the neighbor's house, I happened to notice a large dog in their yard--and I suddenly realized, it was no dog at all--it was one of our horses.  I do have to stop my story for just a minute and wonder why this never happens when Johnny is at home?  I mean, it happens on the day that I am dressed for work (with a dress and flat flip flops on), have the boys strapped in and the grass is freshly mowed...why?  Anyway, I back up, turn around and go back home.  I wonder how he got out and if it was any use for me to bother putting him back up.  I mean, if the fence is broken, he will just walk back out.  But, I also knew I couldn't be irresponsible and leave him out. So, I started the task--I went to get some horse food, the barrell was very low and I couldn't reach it, so I had to lay it down and kinda crawl inside to get some food in the scoop---mmm, mmm nothing like the smell of some sweet feed in the morning!  With the food in hand, I head out to round up our other horse and lock it in the gate pen thing.  I finally persuade him to come in and I exit the pen if I were a stealth ninja type.  So, I lock my eyes in on the escapee, determined to round him up and show him who owns this place.  In the mean time, John Gannon and Jackson are still strapped in the jeep.  JG has rolled his window down and is shouting things at me, like "MOMA, he's over there. MOMA, he just took a step.  Moma, you better hurry up. MMMMOOOOMMMMAAAA" SO, off I go, as I took my first step, the thought raced through my brain...for those of you who have never lived out in the county you won't undertand, but for everyone else, here it goes.  "When I cross those property lines, my dogs are going with me and then, it is going to be on--between them and the neighbor's pack."  But, duty called, so I kept walking.  As I got about 50 feet from the horse, the neighbor's dogs (a whole slew of 'em) started violently barking--motivating our horse to start bucking--and you guessed it--running!  But, God showed my a little mercy and Edward Cox decided to run down our road and turned into our drive!!  Excellent...from there, I carroused the fellow into the fence and then into the gated pen thing!  I must say that I was proud of my ranch wrangling skills--Johnny would have been proud!  As I continued to relish in my victory, I turned to go back to the Jeep and John Gannon was hanging half way out, waving these pieces of wood everywhere.  I hollered and asked him what he was doing and he said he was going to throw those sticks at those mean dogs if they tried to get me...how sweet he is--he is going to make some girl a good knight one day! 

On another note, I think we may be in trouble.  Our little Jackson seems to have the determination of a donkey!  I was sharing my popscicle today and had to take it away because it started breaking into small pieces, and he went wild--I am sure I have a few marks from the scuffle. A few minutes later, he is crawling around and banging on our heater.  I go over, move him to the other side of the room and put his jumperoo in front of the heater.  No sooner than I got back into the kitchen I heard the banging again!  This time, he had went back over there, crawled under the jumperoo and was wailing on the log shield!  I pulled him out and he immediately let me know he didn't like it--trying to pull and scream his way back. And, as I write this, he has been trying to cut the music on inside his pack and play.  He has constantly been racking his fingers over the music box buttons--I am sure he will succeed!  Where did those genes come from...hmmm... :)

Comments