Living and Dying..but Really Living

Have you ever thought about your mortality and what that really means?  Really, have you ever considered it?  Of course, if you are a Christian you would be pressured to "Sunday School Answer" and with your most respectful voice say something like "yes, none of us are promised tomorrow, and I am suppose to live each day as though it is my last."  Or maybe, you listened to Tim McGraw's song Live Like You Were Dying, got goose bumps, and decided to make a bucket list or branch out and try something new.  I don't know, but have you every really thought about it?

I have.  If you asked me before a few weeks ago, I would have given you a little different perspective than I would today--probably something along the lines of a "Sunday School Answer".  Not because of anything tragic has my perspective changed, but because of some circumstances and the awesome Holy Spirit working in mine and Johnny's lives.  For those of us who know us, the past year, year and a half has been very difficult for us in many ways--we have faced many mountains--some we have conquered, others we are still climbing, and some, I think we are still at the bottom-scratching our heads wondering what the best route is??  But for the most part, Life is Good.  About 5 weeks ago I started getting sick and having some weird, debilitating symptoms.  Long story but I am now on week 4 of treatment for pnemonia and dehydration.  I go for a third set of X-rays on Mon-if there is no change in the 2 spots on my lungs, they are sending me out for a scan.  So, as any person would (I think), I started thinking all those "what if..." thoughts.  They really aren't the source of any anxiety, just something my brain is processesing (that is the circumstance). SO, I have thought about my mortalilty. 

Will my children know my name if I die while they are so young?  Will they know how much I loved them and what my hopes and dreams were for them?  What about Johnny--God, why should he ever have to face the grief and hurt?  God, why can't you.... and then, you know how it is when you have the pity party, that small voice of comfort and peace starts speaking.  The one that says things like "I have a plan." "I have this all under control--stop trying to plan and control my plans." "This is all about ME."  That's right folks.  We forget that alot--we were created to bring glory to Him.  In whatever we do--our words, actions, and circumstances--we are to bring glory to Him. 

So, while we are living we need to live (you know, make some memorable moments)--but at the same time, remember that we are dying.  Our life is but a breathe--and I must say as I am living out these years, days, hours, seconds, I want my life to scream of Chirst. I want Christ to be glorified and the message of the Gospel to be spread...and if that can best be done through my death--then let it be...because then, I can truly live!

Comments