John Gannon's First Rant...and my Confession

We were cruising North Gloster tonight/actually last night, on our way to meet someone, and IT happened.  There had been some small talk going on in the Cox automobile, some imaginative story-telling, and an occassional "John Gannon, leave your brother alone."  From the outside it would appear that our journey to take care of a little business and buy some food would be typical.  Johnny and I were trying to say a few words to each other as there was a rare moment of silence from the back...and then it happened.  John Gannon says, "Lazy people!!"  Johnny and I look at each other with that curious look--you know, the one that says to the other, "What's he talking about?" So, I pryed, "What ya talking about?"  "That buggy, somebody just left it there." he says.  I don't think either of us responded, but I have to confess...I was proud.  That's right son!  They should have put it up, you tell 'em--and other similar phrases seemed to whirl around in my brain.  Well, we met our friends, did our business, and made our first stop at Sams.  When we got out, John Gannon points out a buggy filled with a few pieces of trash and asks me, "Moma, did a lazy person do that?"  "Yep, they should have put it up shouldn't they?" I proudly responded.  He said, "Yes, they should have, but MAYBE they couldn't or maybe they had to go somewhere else, or Moma, maybe they had to pee."  "Yes, son, maybe they had to pee."

There was a lot of wisdom in what John Gannon's little brain was processing at the time--which I will eventually get to.  See, as I confessed earlier, his comment...well, it really came from hearing me rant.  For years, I have commented about buggies being left in the parking lot.  I don't know why it bothers me, but it really does irritate me.  I also make the assumption that these buggies are left by the same people that drive around the parking lot looking for a "good parking" spot.  I mean, what in the world is that?  A good? parking spot.  Just park and walk...it does a body good!  Can you see my passion--I mean, it is underlined and in bold.  Anyway, obviously my son was modeling a little of my behavior.  But for him, in his brain, it met a little resistance.  "Moma says they are lazy, but do I believe that?   I have had to pee before and I think I would have left the buggy to look for a good tire" (hmmm...I almost deleted that--another confession, John Gannon is my son, not our dog, and we have been guilty of letting him do that).  I wonder if anyone rants about that, "Those people that let their kids pee in the parking lot...how sick is that--what are they thinking?"

Back to my thought, John Gannon was able to see through my rant and actually look at the situation from a different perspective--a perspective that showed a little compassion and was not judgmental.  Funny, sounds a little Christ-like doesn't it? I am guilty many times of observing some small, outward behavior of someone and making lots of judgments.  Working at the school, I have had the opportunity to be yelled out/smarted off to by many parents (mostly females, by the way) and even more often--hear a lot of excuses.  And, in most instances, I let some judgmental thoughts whirl around in my head..."If she would just..., She needs to..., Why can't she..."  But what I fail to consider most times, is that person's story.  If we are honest with ourselves, we really don't know a person's story--all the things they bring in and are wagging behind them.  I mean, I have a lot of luggage I carry around with me sometimes.  And, when I have a lapse in composure, I really hope others would have a compassionate thought toward me.  Of course, Jesus was the perfect example of this...the woman at the well, the response to the disciples when Mary washed his feet with perfume, the woman caught in adultery.  Phillipians 4:8,9 remind us of what to fill our minds with and verse 9 tells us to practice the things we have learned from Chirst.  So, I encourage you and myself, to challenge those condemning thoughts that we find creeping into our minds based on a single observance of a person's behavior, I mean, goodness, maybe they had to pee, right?

On another note, my dr's report was good today.  The spots on my lungs had responded a little to the last treatment.  He said that even better than the X-ray was the fact that my symptoms were improving--I can actually walk at a normal pace now and can do that without medication!! Woo--hoo!  He said that there is usually some delay for the X-ray to finally clear up.  SO, if my symptoms keep improving, I go back in 6 wks for a follow up X-ray to make sure they are completely gone!  Thanks to those of you who have said some prayers on my behalf--please continue!

Comments

  1. I have enjoyed reading all your blogs Paula. Blogging is fun and you are a great writer. John Gannon must be getting so BIG and I still haven't seen Jackson. Miss y'all and praying for your health!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment