Relationships...Don't Let the Little Things Rob You!

If asked, I would guess that most of us would say that we value relationships and think relationships are more important than money, things, jobs, etc. but if you are like me, relationships (outside of the ones in my immediate family) seem to get put on the back burner due to life's demands. These demands aren't big things, just little things--like time, wanting to rest or be lazy, homework, baths, washing clothes....you know, just all these little things. It reminds me of the passage in Solomon 2:15--catch for us the little foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom. The foxes were destructive to the vineyards--because they are small, in an effort to get the desired fruit of the vine, they would have to chew the vine. The result--dead vines that were unable to produce fruit.

I must confess that as time passes, many of the relationships that I wish I could say I was nourishing are really just "meet, greet, and leave" at best--you know--I see them once every 2-3 months--we say hey, what have you been doing, and bye." One of those relationships is with my grandparents.  I love my Memaw and Charlie but those little life demands have really just kept me away. They are full of life at 72 and 78, and I promise you will laugh until your belly hurts if you are around them long. I have wanted her to teach me how to knit for a year now. I even planned on spending a day this past summer and letting her teach me how--it never happened...you know--life's demands...

I guess this is the part of the story where I tell you how guilty I feel as I get ready to attend her funeral--but praise God--that is not the case! I had registered to attend a workshop on Friday, Feb. 15 in Meridian. Kathy was originally going as well, but her father died so she was in Kentucky. I was telling Memaw about it on the phone and she said well, I can go! And then Charlie decided he needed to get away as well. So, before you knew it, we were all Meridian bound!  She said they would just sit around while I was at the conference, knit or read. Well, here they are--in front of MSU-Meridian!

Aren't they cute! 

Guess what, all those little life demands...they were gone for a while. And guess what, I have started learning to knit--I think I am doing ok! And yes, we have had some laughs...for example, here was one of the conversations I could not help but cherish:
Memaw: (As Charlie is making the 2nd pot of coffee) You are going to be going to the bathroom every few minutes.
Charlie: That will be ok.
Memaw: What if we can't find the bathrooms at the place?
Charlie: I will go outside.
Memaw: Oh gosh...they will lock you up somewhere down here.
Charlie: Naw....
:) that stuff is just priceless! If I continue to let those little life demands get in the way, I am going to miss out on lots of good memories and relationships.

So my point...stop letting the little things that really just do not matter rob you of meaningful memories and relationships!

Comments