Cheap Exercise=Meaningful Moments

For those of you who know my well, you are aware of my skills, my mean dancing skills, and for those who don't know me well--my lack of!  I lived for years avoiding situations that required dancing at all costs--excuses, lies...whatever it took--I was shame. And then one day--not sure when it was but I had been married a while--I decided why not?  I had the perfect teacher at the time--teenagers! Johnny was a youth minister and we were around them or they were at our house a lot. Needless to say, they tried! I tried, they tried....we all laughed! But the great part, my shame was gone--it didn't matter anymore. The freedom of just busting my moves out anywhere, anytime is great. People laugh, I laugh...it is a win, win. Every curious, just ask...I'll show you!

Johnny has always found the most humor in it I think--he would always beg me to dance and once I started, he would say things like--no, really--try to or why are your arms so stiff...and of course, we just laugh. But lately, I have been challenging him, you know--dancing up to him and saying--come on, show me your skills! He has been hesitant so that tells me, I may be actually getting a little better. Anyway, Thursday night, he had this brainstorm about how dancing would be a pretty good exercise to help strengthen our core. So, what resulted--the furniture was moved and our living room was transformed into a dance floor. All four of us were dancing around, laughing and really just having a time that I never want to forget. An hour and a half of nonstop fun! JG can't resist shaking his leg when an Elvis song is on, Jackson has his own dance called the Jack leg, and I am sure Johhny and I have created a new art form--just not sure what it should be named.

I share this to challenge you and ask why not? We miss out on so many opportunities because of our hesitation and adultness. Years ago, had I not realized it wasn't a big deal, I would have just been watching my family...as a matter of fact, I would have probably gotten a little mean as they tried to persuade me to join in saying things like "I don't want to." " Stop--I am not going to do it!" I hear it all the time in adults--they won't do things that can be so much fun--what do you have to lose-your dignity, pride, respect? I have learned that people actually have more of that for you when you chose to live a little more free--when you drop down your guard and just be real! Live a little bit--quit robbing yourself of meaningful moments--start dancing, play in the rain instead of running from it, get paint on some of your work clothes, enjoy the presence of those around you...Live a Meaningful Life!

Comments