Learned from experience...

One of the things I remember rolling my eyes at as a teenager is when I would hear someone say something like, "You are never going to stop learning. Or When you get more experience you will think differently." In my arrogant little mind at the time, I would just gag at the thought of having to continue learning and as far as I was concerned if you just did enough planning on the front end, you did not have to worry about the experience thing because you would make the right decisions from the start! Now--even though that may have been my thought pattern it does not mean that I always practiced those concepts...So as an adult, I have to admit I have never stopped learning...and as for one of those things that comes from experience, here it goes...

I am by nature a planner--I like to organize stuff and have a neatly designed place for everything. I like to have plans if we are going places. I like to know we have reservations. I like to create lists so I don't forget things. I like to know how we are going to do something. I like to know what time it is and where I am going next. I like for things to be "unmessy." At least...I used to like these things.

For those of you who know us, you know that my strong, excellent, hot looking husband is a little different in those areas. To be honest--he is exactly the opposite. Plans to him are restricting to his freedom and actually are a source of frustration to him. Plans decrease the amount of adventure that can happen during the process. Time demands that fun be stopped or postponed...plans are just plain boring...he likes to walk and explore stuff that isn't on the trail!

So, what do you think? Personality conflicts, arguing fighting, nagging......actually none of the above!  Change is what happened--I have grown to love last minute plans--like packing that morning and leaving in the afternoon, picking out a place to stay on the way, not knowing when we are coming home..I realized that my plans, time constraints and everything having it's little place was such "unfree" living. All the plans really served to do was frustrate me when things started going a little haywire. They were robbing me of adventure and fun! Now...on the other side of the change--I can't imagine obsessing if my kids shoes get dirty--I love for them to explore--I can't imagine not having paint, toys,  playdo, markers laying around everyday--how restricting to imagination, critical thinking and problem solving that would be! And as for the trips--there is freedom in knowing if we want to go somewhere...well--we just will! We can get messy--we just clean it up later--jumping in mud holes with my kids outside--are priceless--the t-shirt I ruin in the process because I wasn't dressed to jump in a puddle--BIG DEAL--I'll take the memory of fun any day over the t-shirt! Stop robbing yourself of meaningful moments and just live a little--give up all the stupid details and just cherish a moment--a moment you may never get to experience again! I did...and I can say from experience...

Live a Meaningful Life!


Comments