Weight Update--What do I do?

Tuesday, December 16th I had enough! I decided I was done with adding to the scale and was going to do something about it. So, how has that turned out you may wonder?  On the 17th, I was battling intense cravings and stupid, irrational thoughts. The following day or 2 was the same and then, it got easier.  I was a little worried as the family gatherings approached. I knew that good food and DESSERTS would be in my face.  Would I fail?  I decided to preplan what I would eat as much as I could. It did work. I only failed once-and it wasn't that big of a deal--I was going to eat 1 biscuit-but ate 2 instead (they are my favorite and in my defense--we waited too long before eating) I didn't eat anything that morning and knew we weren't going to be eating until 10:30 or later. 

As for the results, I am down 3 pounds!  Some of you have messaged me privately and asked exactly how I planned on doing this.  Here is the scoop:


  • I use the Lose It app. I set my current weigh and goal weight. I usually choose the 1/2 pound/week option for losing; This time I chose 1 lb/week. It then sets my daily caloric intake, assuming no physical exercise to achieve the goal.  For me right now that equals 1304 calories a day. I log my food into the app and it deducts the calories from my total and charts my dietary intake (fats, proteins, carbs, etc). When I exercise, I can add that in as well and it adjusts my totals, etc. Right now, I am under 466 calories for the week (which resets on Monday).
  • I do crunches, planks, and some form of aerobic exercise about 3x/week.
  • Self-talk/counseling interventions...this is the hard part; Making choices that go against my will.  Making choices that show I am determined to change instead of just eating a donut and talking about it! In order to do this, I have to challenge my thoughts--point out when they are lies--and decide if I want the change more than I want...let's say one of those cherry cordial cakes that are sitting in my cabinet (and by the way--I do get to eat one tonight!) So the hard part--actually making the choices that I know are right instead of the choices I "want" at the moment.  I will not lie--this is definitely the hard part for me; making myself behave. I can blame what I want, but for me that is the bottom line-I have to make the hard choices and go against my will at the moment because I really want the end result. It matters to me, really-enough to make the hard choices.
For the past 2 days I have been sick. I have absolutely no energy, low grade temp and a sore throat. You would think that it would be easy on days like this not to battle food cravings. But no, that is actually why I chose to write about it right now, because for some reason all this food on the counter and in the fridge, and in the cabinets seem good to me right now. Even though the truth is: I am not physically hungry, I really do not even want to get up to get any of it (the rest of my crew is at church), and I am determined for the weight to be gone. That is the truth! 

I think the key to weight loss/diet/healthy choices is this--you have to find something that works for you. As a counselor, I think you have to know yourself-your triggers, your thoughts, what motivates you, etc. For me, I know I am a huge advocate of personal responsibility. So for me, I have to make sure I challenge myself daily with questions like this, "Are you going to make choices that are ultimately going to lead you to fail?" No--I am too stubborn.  I know this about me, so it works.  

Anyway, evaluate/know yourself...be honest, pick something that you think will work for YOU and then...do the hard part. Make the small daily choices that ultimately lead to change. 

Live a Meaningful Life!

*I am going to eat my 1 cup of spaghetti with meat (my husband made the best home made sauce today) and a side of raw broccoli and carrots.  If I still want one of those cherry cordial cakes, I will eat one tonight. I will have plenty of left over calories to do so!

Comments