2022 Travel Log #5 Texas pt. 2 and Homeschool Woes...

 


Oh the joys of homeschooling (insert eye roll please). I made the boys journals to change up school a bit while we were gone. They were asked to document where we go each day and write about their experience, what they see, what they learned, and whatever else comes to mind. I also have themed pages they will complete using graphic organizers about things such as their future, themselves, etc. The only thing John was asked to do in addition to this was continue to work on the 1 class that he has that is 1/2 credit this semester as he had made great progress with all of his other full year course at this point. 

Imagine my shock, anger, frustration, disgust (insert all the related words)...when I read an entry for an entire day from Jackson that says "We went to a cool town." or this one "We stayed in the car all today because it was raining." We haven't driven more than 3 hours at a time ANY day! And when I ask John about his class he has to complete by Christmas break and he says, "What class is that? Where is the stuff?" I say all the time, I thought I was a pretty decent person until I started homeschooling. By far, teacher role is one of the hardest hats to were with your children! But, I will say I am incredible grateful for the opportunity to be with them and to let them learn in different ways...even on days they make it hard! That has nothing to do with Texas...just something for the memory book so when I read this 10 years from now I can laugh and tell myself how that was not a big deal at all!

So onto San Antonio. Today, we stayed in the hotel until around lunch due to the rain (perfect time to catch up on school, right?). We ventured out on a mission to buy Jackson a few things as he doesn't have many winter shirts. He is growing incredibly fast right now. After that mission, we surprised the boys with an Escape room adventure. It was really great. It was a Zombie themed room and in addition to just having a host, they have a live zombie that comes in and gets after you at various times, making it incredibly fun as it increases your adrenaline. I screamed and screamed and screamed several times. Don't ask John Gannon about the rule they implemented during a period of the game where we couldn't talk. I may or may not have broken that one twice...I finally resolved to put my hand over my mouth as a physical reminder not to talk. That finally worked :) Apparently Johnny saved himself a few times by shoving one of the boys toward the zombie. Were we victorious? Did we escape and win the game?

YES, We did! We won! Jackson did get us out by offering his brain and being the courageous one to volunteer to go into the room with the zombie--alone. (Johnny says he was going to, but Jackson volunteered first). I directly stated it wasn't going to be me--I screamed every time the thing came out. I might really die if I had to do that. John Gannon was silent, lol! Really, I was impressed with the quality of the game, host, and actors. If you do an esacape room, I highly suggested doing one in which real characters come in and try to get you--it is great for the adrenaline and experience!

After the escape room, the rain had decreased to a mist so we walked and explored Downtown San Antonio. Here is the cool building that the escape room was in.


San Antonio wins for the longest murals. This one was longer that what is pictured and there was an even longer one down the walls of bridge and continued down the concrete walls for a while. It was just on a major road and there was not way to stop and enjoy it.



We walked a short section of the riverwalk due to needing to get to the Alamo before it closed.






Those of you that have read this blog over the years know how I love these shots, following my three!







And here we go..."REMEMBER THE ALAMO!!














There were some large koi in the river downtown.

There was a framed picture in our hotel room of a random sculpture. I was surprised when we walked up on it in downtown!





This is a pretty cool sign/name for church!


Check out today's bike picture by Johnny!


As the sun set, we made our way back to the car...as our parking time was about to expire! Oh how we are ready to be out in nature. We are only 6-7 hours from Big Bend National Park, but I think we are going to have to catch a bit moreTexas towns due to lodging availability during Thanksgiving week near the park.

Oh...and just an update: John had the notepad on the phone opened while we strolled the streets today, jotting down things (smart move). As for Jackson, it looks like he is going to rely on his memory still. We will see how those future journal entries end up! 


Comments

  1. Enjoyed glad y’all are having a good time ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the pictures! Loving what you write about it all! I know about boys and school work.😂 It all works out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment