Travel Log 2019 # 5: A Near Death Experience and The Grand Canyon


12/1/19
We left Phoenix after breakfast and headed toward Sedona. We made a few stops before getting there.


Our next stop was at Montezuma's Castle, which are some Native America ruins still in tact in the mountainside.
Jackson traded in his temporary National Park Pass for the permanent one. He loves that it is "his" pass that gets us into the parks.






After these two stops, we made it to Sedona to get in some hiking! We hiked all over Bell Rock and around the trails of Courthouse Butte and other sites.











 Jackson and I saw how long we could walk with snowballs on our heads!







And it was here I risked my life. You all know I have said lots of times that if you follow Johnny long enough you will always have a story to tell. He likes the routes that are adventurous and push your limits. As we kept walking, the rock got steeper and more difficult. The kids were occupied building snowmen and he decided that me and him should keep going. John gave it one look and he was out...too dangerous. Johnny kept telling me I could do it blah, blah...I started taking steps. Do you see that narrow groove that is a little darker. You had to walk that in single file and lean toward the rocks not to plummet to your death or severe injury. Ten steps in I regretted my choice and wanted an escape but trying to make a turn was probably an even worse decision than to keep going.
John was concerned and kept saying, "What in the world are you doing? This is crazy! We need our parents."
Of course, I made it across and I figured surely there would be another way around/up that part of the rock. Johnny pretty much ran around the thing.
But guess what? Yep...I had to do it again on the way back out. My heart was racing and I don't think I was breathing. I think this angle gives you a better idea.

We took the advise of a park attendant we hiked at the day before and make sure to take the longer route by following Oak Creek Canyon. It definitely did not disappoint. The views were amazing.


 We stopped on the side of road and played in the snow a little!

We stayed the night in Flagstaff, AZ. 

12/2/19
We woke up and headed to the Grand Canyon! It was the perfect day. Despite the large amount of snow you see, the weather was in the mid 50's with lots of bright, warm sunshine! The only time it got chilly was when we hiked down into the canyon a little after the sun was down a bit.
This is one of the boats that first explored the Colorado River in the canyon. The boat weighed 900 lbs!
 Because it was celebrating its 100 years of education we got a free book filled with all kinds of things to learn about the canyon.



 John made this little guy. When we walked back through several people were snapping their pictures with it too. John was proud!









We hiked a small part of the Bright Angel Trail that goes into the canyon...of course without crampons on our shoes....I was so scared Jackson was going to slip off the trail. He fell a few times because of the snow/ice.











The sun set as we were leaving the park. We spent the night in Williams, AZ.

Needless to say, our eyes have beheld much beauty over the last 13 days. I can't wait to see where else we land!

Live a Meaningful Life!







Comments