Need a Fun Day that Only Costs a Little Gas?

Monday, we went for a quick day trip to Cane Creek Nature Preserve. It is in Tuscumbia, AL-about an hour and a half trip for us--just a little over an hour from Tupelo.  The land is privately owned by an older couple who thought the best use of the land was to open it to the public.  You sign in on their front porch. The gentleman came down from the balcony he was sitting on and chatted with me explaining where restrooms could be found and that the coolers are filled with water for use by the hikers/visitors. (There is no charge and I couldn't even find a donation box.)  I was impressed from the start! How cool! Having an abundance of land and just enjoying the company of visitors every day!
So, we were off (the 4 of us + Granny)...The boys were in true form-prepared for all things hiking.  They packed these bags with no prompting from us. Jackson had his backpack filled with all sorts of cool things, including several different fashion accessories. He also brought a small knife, paper, crayons and markers. He stopped often to "mark the spot" where we were. He was creating a map as we hiked.






John Gannon came prepared with his "six eyes" as he called it.


He brought a knife (attached to his pack strap), some night vision goggles, water, and who knows what else...


The preserve was absolutely beautiful-no pictures I have actually capture the true beauty. There are several waterfalls, caves, large rock formations and endless creeks, trees, hills, overlooks, etc.





 This overlook was amazing! Even in real life-it looked like you were staring at a painting. I would love to see it when it is painted with the splendor of Fall.









The trail system is clearly marked and coincides nicely with a laminated map you can pick up where you register. You return the map when you leave. There are many miles of trails in the preserve. We were only able to do a small section due to time and a five year old who kept saying, "I am ready to go home." I am not really sure what was going on with him-he would normally be mad when we got ready to leave. There are trails suitable for those who just want a leisurely stroll through nature and for those who want a bit more of a challenge with climbing rocks, etc.


I bet you can't guess the way we chose to hike out?



Granny was quite the trooper-scaling those rocks and hills like a 20 year old! Jackson was my adventure leader. He stayed in front of me giving me rock by rock instructions of where to put my hands and how to lean over rocks to get up on them. He expected me to touch every rock he did and climb exactly like him. Needless to say, my legs got a good workout from all the bending up/down!


Jackson found a small stick to whittle on. This was his first time to practice. He has watched John Gannon do it, and I guess he decided it was time for him to try!


Here are some more pictures from our day! Several times I looked through the lens of my camera and just cherished in my heart what I saw...

Two boys cherishing time with their Granny


A soldier spontaneously dropping to the ground to move around quietly so the enemy wouldn't notice.



Well, I actually didn't look through the lens on this one!


Watching my favorite man play.



Hearing the 5 year old say, "Mama, take me a picture here."


The nine year old pretending to save himself during a landslide by grabbing the small tree...will he survive?

An Eno photoshoot


Playtime with daddy


Life, innocence, love in its most sincere form; My vocabulary is inadequate to describe what I feel each time I get a glimpse of the next two pictures.



A Mama and her grown boy-how full her heart must be when she looks and sees a man that lives with integrity, loves and takes care of his family (I am pretty sure she probably whispers the occasional prayer of thankfulness that he made it despite all the crazy adrenaline adventures he has tried through the years.)


The Granny I aspire to be-one who makes her grandchildren feel like rock stars; One who stops life and listens every time Granny is uttered from their mouths; A woman who stays up until 11pm playing a Wii game just because her grandson enjoys it; One who stops and truly takes time to make meaningful moments with two young boys who will one day be standing beside her as men



Getting invited to add to the map being created




The explorer who always makes exciting new discoveries


 Imaginations allowed to thrive




A bird nest found and moved to a safe location



A boat test to see if it will safely carry the rock across



Trying to discover the leaf that offers the promise of winning the race down the creek



Which leaf will survive until the end?



Writing his name on the ground in hopes the next explorers make the discovery


Striking a pose


A older brother giving the younger a lecture on a safety principle




 I am pretty sure that some of the greatest moments of our lives happen everyday. The small things that tend to get overlooked-the memories that fail to be made because we are often too busy-the time that creeps away slowly but then all of a sudden seems so fast...Take the time to cherish life-the to do list will never end.  I hope that as I continue to grow older I choose to prioritize the things that really matter instead of letting the "busy"ness of life rob me. 



Live a Meaningful Life!


Comments