An Experiment in the Waiting Room

I am at the surgery center with my sweet mom. She had to have her tonsils removed. She got strep and it would not go away and eventually led to an infected tonsil. So here she is, awaiting the procedure. The procedure itself is not a big deal but the recovery for an adult can be a tough one from what we understand.

I have enjoyed the time spent with her and Mitch during the long wait this morning. Prior to arriving at the surgery center this morning, I had to drop by the dr.'s office myself. I am having a little issue the drs are trying to resolve. I went Friday for a diagnostic procedure and then had to drop by today to give some blood. 

Anyway, in the waiting room this morning at the dr's office, I did an experiment. I have been reading the book Hands Free Mama. 

It is a book I wish I had written. It talks about how we should cherish time with people, stop life and live in the moment. You know, live a meaningful life. Of course, one of the main tenants is disconnecting from technology to actually enjoy interactions with the humans around us. The other day, the chapter I read talked about waiting areas, how everyone seems to stare at the phone and avoid even making eye contact with other people. I intended on observing this on Friday but a guy I graduated with and his wife were in the waiting room so we chatted the whole time. This morning, I didn't know a soul, so I conducted the observation and then began the experiment. 

First off, there were 16 people in the sub-waiting area. 14 of those people were staring at their phones. The two people who were across from me were all hugged up, he was kissing her cheek, rubbing his finger in her ear (I am telling the truth) and the whole time, they were still both staring at cell phones. I wanted to stare at them, but that was just a little awkward. So I found myself kind of staring at the ceiling above them so I could keep watching them in my peripheral vision. I wasn't staring to judge or have ill thoughts, I just wanted to figure out exactly how they were able to keep this going and stare at the phone as well.  I eventually got tickled at myself and decided to look around and start my experiment. I was going to purposely try to start a conversation with someone and try to have a little meaningful time in the waiting area with another human.  So, my options were limited--one little lady who looked to be in her late 50's. I immediately swapped sides of the waiting area and plopped down in the chair beside her.  This just happened to be right beside the "couple" that was multi-tasking. She was scrolling Facebook, he was playing Clash of the Clans all the while continuing all this public touching, etc...Anyway, I started to chat with the lady I had picked out. Turns out, we had lots in common and found lots of points of discussion. After about 15 minutes of waiting she was called back she said, "I almost hate they called my name. I enjoyed talking to you." I enjoyed it as well. Taking the time to meet a human I would have otherwise never crossed paths with. We shared smiles, a few laughs, and some encouragement with each other. 

I challenge you the next time you are in the presence of strangers or people you know, instead of joining the crowd and scrolling on the old phone or iPad, start a conversation, share a smile and an encouraging word. I think you will find that time a little more rewarding. Live a Meaningful Life!




Comments

  1. Love this!!! Great words, Technology is wonderful...(hence the reading of this blog :-) ) but there is a time to put it down and just connect face to face. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Technology has great benefits, but the overuse of it (and anything for that matter) robs us of lots of good things!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment