Can't Sleep = A Beautiful Reflection for My Soul

I woke up around 3:00 this morning--the wide awake kind. At 3:26 I decided there was no returning to my blissful sleep state so I arose and headed to the living room.  For the last hour or so, I have read, thought, meditated, prayed…and then there was silence.

I sat in my cushiony chair in the darkness hearing only the repetition of the ceiling fan motor.  The gas logs lit up and filled the darkness with a faint orange and blue reflection.  My mind was still-I was just staring at the colors when my soul was moved.  I realized there really was silence--silence in my mind and heart--no thoughts lingering about what to do or what I have to do; No concern about what today or tomorrow brings; No processing of conversations that I have had or going to have; No worries; No anticipation of great events; No racing thoughts about needing to sleep so I will not be tired the next day...Peace.

He will keep in perfect peace all those who trust in him, whose thoughts turn often to the Lord! Isaiah 26:3. 

I am often guilty of trusting in lots of things that are so futile-money, people, jobs, roles, security of life, health... When I find myself occupied with those frivolous things, my mind races. It fills with worry, self doubt, pride, arrogance, fear, deceit, to do lists, this weird goal setting/accomplishment mentality (how can I make this happen mentality…)  I prefer the peace, the quietness of my soul. So I sit here now, at 5:27 am and cherish the peace I am so overwhelmed and flooded with this morning.  


I will praise the Lord no matter what happens. I will constantly speak of his glories and grace. I will boast of all his kindness to me. Let all who are discouraged take heart. Let us praise the Lord together and exalt his name.
For I cried to him and he answered me! He freed me from all my fears. Others too were radiant at what he did for them. Theirs was no downcast look of rejection! Psalms 34:1-5  

Live a Meaningful Life!

Comments

Post a Comment