Buy Your Husband the Right Tools!!

Aright ladies...How many times have you started a project (that required some help) and your husband give you a list of all these new tools he needs to do the job?  Or maybe he says something like, "That would not have been as bad if I had the right tools."  I have always just grinned and said, "Let's go buy them." (while I secretly thought it was a good time for him to get a new toy). For Christmas in 2012 the boys and I fixed some of that by buying a large bag of those yellow power tools for Johnny.  I figured matching sets worked better than non matching.  :)  So fast forward and here we are today.  We are working on ripping up 3 bedrooms, 2 closets and a sitting area worth of carpet.  All was going well until I was given a scraping device and asked to get the leftover carpet padding off the floor (the part around the edges and in the seams where it was glued to the floor).  Oh my...I regretted thinking we were going to tackle this ourselves.  I envisioned myself working on it a little everyday, and MAYBE we would have a room done in a couple of months!  Surely, there is a better way.  I remembered my days as a summer painter and said  we needed one of those scraper things with a long handle.  Johnny suggested I call Charlie and ask him (he had helped lay carpet and the such with someone who does it for a living.)  I called Memaw and she relayed our conversation back and forth--he said just use a grinder.  While Johnny goes and locates the grinder and 2 wire brush attachments, I call my dad to chat.  He suggests the scraper things as well... Guess what--once that grinder was all hooked up--It worked wonders!  So off I was--I was zooming at Nascar pace compared to my little manual scraper...Our floor would be ready for the new stuff in a just a bit!  Having the right tools definitely makes a difference.  So here are my take aways from today...


  • Buy the man all the tools he wants!
  • Having the right tools make the job so much easier (not near as bad)
  • I have known this before today--but Johnny can build, take apart, or assemble just about everything!
  • Stay out of the way once he gets "in that zone!" He gets it done fast!  

Comments