Expectations

Some time ago I read a research article that sought to compare the expressed happiness of people living in other countires to that of people living in the US.  Not suprising to me, the authors found that overall, when compared to other nations, people in the US report themselves as being the most unhappy.  Who would think that people who have food to eat, clean/running water to drink (or at least water that is perceived to be clean--I read an article last year that our water now has traces of lots of meds b/c of the mass use of daily meds and of course for those of you who listen to me rant--there is no possible way that the pipes that bring water into our house can be clean--have you ever looked at that clear piping that runs to water dispensers, ice makers, etc...they turn brown after a while.  If you don't believe me, come to Saltillo Elementary and I will show you one!), anyway, back to my thought--we have houses/places to live, cars to drive, opportunities to make money, extracurricular activities to partcipate in...all these things and we are still unhappy!  Why?  The researchers went on to find that the difference was in the expectations people have.  Somehow, people in the US have come to have high expectations and when those expectations aren't met, unhappiness is the result.  You know, the expectation of having things, possessing power, being the boss, traveling around with no responsibility, working a little and making a lot, having things immediately, buying mess to sit around in your house and collect dust--all for the sole purpose of making something look good or for others to see?  Hmmm...unmet expectations = unhappiness.

While this article has lots of truth, I must add a little and say that the only way to have real happiness is to find contentment in the ultimate source--our Creater.  1 Timothy 6:5 mentions that often people think that godliness is a way to material gain--I agree it makes sense in my human mind "God, I am your child, I honestly seek to serve you, so bless me--pour out the cash and pave the way..."  However, v. 6-8 point out that godliness with contentment (you know--having little or a lot) is great gain.  We came here with nohing and we will leave with nothing.  We just NEED food and clothing.  Hmm...food and clothing, I must admit my expectations at times are much different.  To find contentment in Christ is the ultimate source of happiness. Knowing that He has a plan, He is in control, and He directs our path is great news!  And as for expectations, I am certainly glad we are saved by grace through faith...because as for His expectations, I am pretty far from meeting the mark.  But I will press on and in the meantime...find contentment in Him!!

As for life around our house, it has been a whirlwind lately.  First of all, both boys seem to be back in good health!!  As a matter of fact, Jackson was released by his surgeon from LeBonheur yesterday!  We just praise God for another day to live and enjoy the presence of our two sons--messes, poopy diapers, sleepless nights and all!!  As for me, I am having an outpatient procedure done on my lungs in the morning--they are going to take some cultures to see what is actually on them.  The pulmonary dr said the ct scan showed some holes/cavities and there are still some infiltrates, so hopefully in the next few weeks they will be able to know what is actually wrong.

I had a wonderful weekend this past week.  I and 5 of the coolest women I know went to Ft. Payne AL to a women's retreat--we did outdoor adventure activities (hiking, rapelling, rock climbing, ziplining, exploring a cave) and worshiped together.  I must say that singing acapella in the ballroom of a cave in complete darkness is quite moving!  I have some funny stories to tell about the trip--I'll share some in upcoming posts.  In the meatime, as you live dying, seek to find real contentment in Christ and live a meaningful life!

Comments

  1. God has truly given you a gift of writing,He has given me a gift of having you as a friend. I love you and Our family is praying for your family.I pray God keeps his hand on you all and will touch and heal you in Jesus name. let us know ......your sister in Christ. Terri

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment