Labor Day Weekend: Ingenuity, Creativity, Anxiety Attacks & Overcoming FEARS!

Guess what? We survived the budget this month and had enough money left over (along with a surprise gift) to go on a trip for the extended weekend!! Whoo hoo!  Oh--and I can't WAIT to buy groceries this month!  We only bought fruit, milk, bread, and ice cream last month!  We ate what was in our pantry the rest of the time...

We hit the road around 4:30 or so Friday evening.  Our destination: our favorite campground--Thunder Rock.  We planned to paddle the Hiwassee and Nantahala rivers as a family and Johnny would paddle the Ocoee.  This was the first picture I snapped.  About an hour into the ride, our boys were laughing and playing with each other so well (this doesn't always happen).  I was in one of those blissful mom trances in which I looked at my children and just swelled with positive thoughts about them.  I wanted to capture the moment so I would never forget!
And just so you moms that are reading are aware-it wasn't long before they were fussing and fighting. My blissful mom trance then quickly flipped to some type of psycho-mom moment I suppose. And for all you safety- aware folks, Jackson is buckled. He just leaned over briefly for me to take the picture!
We arrived around 11:30pm at our destination and put up our tent.  As most of you know, lots of rain was forecasted for the weekend, so my husband used a little ingenuity and created us a shelter in which the rain wasn't going to be an issue.  By the way, his ingenuity is going to come in handy on many occasions on this trip!

The boys brought their beds from home and enjoyed them all weekend.




As for creativity, it was in abundance as always.  Jackson made this from random things he brought from home.  At first, it was a fishing pole.  It quickly transformed and remained to be a throw rope for emergencies on the river.  He obviously remembered the training course from last time.  

John discovered a magnifying glass.

This trip off the trail was to get a small piece of a plastic culvert that had been washed along the bank by the river.  This became a musical instrument.


John foraged for wood washed up by the river.


He designed a boat and tested it in the water. His hypothesis was correct--it came apart-he couldn't find string or anything to hold it together.


 Jackson created a catapult contraption.


And he played his favorite game he created last year--litter ball!


And of course, we met a few creatures.

Louie the Lizard starred in the night stories since we weren't camping near the rock monsters this time!


The inch worm inched right along John Gannon's hand.

And a nice fuzzy caterpillar!

On Saturday afternoon, we headed to the Hiwassee for our maiden voyage of the ducky for the weekend. John Gannon, Jackson and I planned to navigate it while Johnny was alongside in the kayak. Josh, Johnny's brother and Blaze, the campground host's (Roxy)son tagged along as well.  

John Gannon was quite in a panic.  The last time we attempted to go down this river it didn't work out so well. JG was on his kayak. He turned over on one of the rapids and panicked.  Seeing him panic, upset Jackson and needless to say, we had to ferry across the river to the next picnic area and exit.  John Gannon vowed he would never get on that river again.  So, here we are...on our way.  I was trying to encourage him-explaining we would be on a ducky this time--all together, etc.  "This river isn't near as wild as the Nantahala and you LOVED going down it in a ducky with your dad on our last trip, remember?" As we approached the put-in, it sprinkled lightly.  Johnny got out getting stuff together. JG sighed and said, please let him get back in and say it is storming so we don't have to go! Needless to say, JG was face to face with some fear. I must admit, I was really nervous as well-navigating a ducky with 2 precious cargo for the first time on a river--my heart did beat a little faster. 

Remember I said that Johnny's ingenuity was going to come in handy on this trip.  Well-we were all dressed in river gear, ready to get on the river.  All we had left to do was air up the ducky. We had purchased a pump at Rock Creek for this very purpose.  We get the pump out, but guess what? No valves...You have got to be kidding?  Commercial grade duckies have special valves for inflating and deflating. Someone had obviously stolen the valves out of the pump box.  Instead of packing the ducky, shedding the river gear, and heading back to camp, Johnny used a piece of foam from an old bed mat and some duct tape to make a thingy that went on the end of the pump hose. And you would know it--it worked! SO, here we are...about to make the voyage. I am surprised JG didn't pass out, throw up, or at least have an anxiety attack. 
How did it go?  Within the first five minutes, JG and Jackson were settled and excited.  I was peaceful. JG even got a little disappointed--he was wanting the water (rapids) to be larger! Our maiden voyage was a success!  Here are a few more shots of us on the Hiwassee.

My three guys!  I don't have the vocabulary to describe my abundant love for them.

Blaze and his ducky--about to navigate the river.  He did great-it was his first time navigating a boat on his on!


Here is Josh! He and his family recently moved to North Carolina. He is just a short drive from the Ocoee, Hiwassee, and Nantahala. Can I say jealous?


Here I am with my pirate crew-in calm water. The river was extremely foggy when we first got on. Later, when the sun came out, it cleared some.


Here we are in a rapid!


JG and Blaze explored a little cave under a railroad bridge.


We found a river monster! Jackson tried to tame it!


Hiwassee trip, maiden ducky voyage=Success!

When we got back to camp that evening, it started to storm.  A lot of water fell out of the sky that night--but we were dry! Johnny's ingenuity=2 successes!

On Sunday, Johnny paddled the upper Ocoee and then we all headed to North Carolina to the Nantahala.  This is where my REAL anxiety/fear began to surface.  When JG was an infant, I had a pretty terrifying experience on the Nantahala.  Long story, but it ended with my right leg looking like someone beat it with a hammer and a swollen knee.  I have fought with the internal conflict of wanting to get on that river again vs. the intense fear for years. Needless to say, until this day-my fear always won! As we neared the water-my heart rate was out of control. I really hope that my increased heart rate 160+ can count for a cardio workout.  I was participating in some cognitive therapy, reminding myself to breath so I wouldn't pass out.  I didn't even snap a picture-that should tell you something.  During the first rapid (class III) I thought I had lost my mind.  What in the world was I doing?  But after the first 15 minutes or so, I finally calmed down and really enjoyed it!
Here we all are at a stop on the river-thumbs up!


John Gannon's Johnny genes surfaced--wanting to go to the "largest" waves in all the rapids. Oh me... He even asked me if I thought his daddy would take him down the Ocoee in the Ducky?  Ummm, NO! Here are some shots of us on the Nanty!





 The beauty of God's creation--we have so much to be thankful for. At this point, I took the opportunity to talk about thankfulness with the boys. We discussed the vastness of creation and how God's design and science is absolutely astounding! How we can take deep breaths and how the trees and plants help us in that process. At this point, John Gannon says: That's it!  That is why I couldn't breathe the other day. Me: What are you talking about? (I mean, we are having a cool, worshipful moment at the time) JG: At the dr.'s office-after I got that shot. I couldn't breathe when you were paying because all of you in the room must have taken a breathe at the same time and used all the oxygen. There were no plants in that place. Me: JG, that is called anxiety. I am thankful you and I have been able to overcome some anxiety in our lives this weekend. (Nice, worshipful moment saved...and continued)!


First Family Nantahala Trip=Success!

Meet the Smyrl's! Josh, Karen, Katie, & Elisha--we are excited they moved to NC so we can have visits occasionally. New Mexico was a little too far away!


Jaskson really enjoyed playing with his "sister." He couldn't quite grasp the cousin concept.

We also loved getting to spend time with Roxy as well! She kept the boys in stock of paper rolls and bottle caps!

And of course, Johnny-my knight, the boys' hero-got his adrenaline fix for a few days!


Live a Meaningful Life!!






Comments