Quietness and A Thief

A lone frog croaks, the rooster crows twice, a bird flutters in the tree leaves, the faint sound of the neighbor's rooster crowing...I love when I take time to stop and just listen.  Quietness of the mind-no racing thoughts, to-do lists, reminders...just stillness. Perfect peace. For years of my life I lived with a constant race of thoughts and things to do. At night the mind would be churning, processing the day's events and planning out the next.  I do not miss those days.  I lovingly embrace the quietness, stillness that seems to prevail more frequently. 

Allowing my mind and thoughts to be so rampant, I missed out on so much.  Having an occupied mind keeps me from fully listening and hearing the needs of others. It keeps me from stopping and enjoying the simple pleasures that surround us.  My children model this so frequently.  We will be riding our bikes and they will stop to look at something on the road or trail. They still know how to enjoy the simple beauty that surrounds us.
And more important than all the rest, an occupied mind keeps me from just enjoying the presence of God.  How I long to be in a constant state of thanksgiving and praise. I have found that when I am able to be still and meditate on all the goodness, dwell on a passage of scripture, or process/question my foundational beliefs, my life is so much more rewarding.  And another added benefit-- I am so much easier to be around. 

The sad part, even in the quietness sometimes the thief likes for me to get caught up on other things. "You know you fail miserably--at being a good mom, friend, or wife." "Have you looked at yourself lately? See the gray, the lines, the jiggles." "Look at everyone else--you should measure up..." All lies-wanting to capture and kill my soul.  I am determined not to be robbed. Can you imagine how crazy it sounded when Moses told the Israelites in Exodus 14:14 The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still

 To be honest, it doesn't make sense. Shouldn't we fight? Do more? Have a plan? The chirping of the crickets, the cries of other random insects, the singing of a few birds,  a gentle breeze brushes my skin. Quietness...stillness...Peace.

Live a Meaningful Life!

Comments

  1. "The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still."

    Thank you so much for sharing this verse. I can't say that I've ever read it before this. I will put these words in my heart and carry them with me always.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment