I Almost Decided to Leave

Last night, the boys and I were settling in. Actually, the more appropriate terminology would be settling down.  You know, finally sitting still...the time when the mom in me thinks SURELY if we sit still for a few minutes they will HAVE to just fall out.  John Gannon was jabbering--asking all kinds of inquisitive questions--I am sure he was hoping I would say, "Oh, let's research that right quick."  Instead, I made a few notes for school the next day 1. How do they transport elephants from zoos or refuges that are really far away? 2.  I wonder if there are other animals eating our watermelons besides the rabbits?

About this time, I see a beam of light break the darkness outside and glare into the window for a split second. Johnny must be done feeding the animals.  Seconds pass. Screen door opens. And the man walks in. Johnny is holding a green 5 gallon bucket, shoves it into my face and says, "Here's the reason we haven't had eggs in the past few days." Staring back at me a little too closely was a pile of a snake. He was lifting his head to get a good look at me. I startle and let out a quick yelp. He immediately takes the bucket and puts it over the loveseat for the boys to see.  About that time, the snake decides to try to escape and raises its head and body over the top of the bucket.  John Gannon screams, Jackson yells, and Johnny lets out some sort of deep sounding grunt/moan. He immediately moves the bucket to the kitchen area trying to get it back outside. 

You know what happens next, right? That's right--the AT LEAST 5 ft snake escapes the bucket. There it is, slithering all around my house. I am screaming, both boys are yelling. Johnny is still obsessively letting out that deep moan/yell thing he was doing, all the while smiling.  My plan at this point, hop from my chair, to the next chair. Jump over the snake and escape through the door.  I was determined to get out. I was not returning until I saw the snake (the same snake) removed from my shelter.  

Of course, I didn't have to escape. Johnny eventually got the snake crammed back into the bucket and out the door. Whew....at this point, Jackson is screaming, runs and gets tucked into my lap for comforting.  He says, "I never want to touch a snake again unless it is at the zoo or someone is holding it." In about 5 minutes he is calm again. So much for the 'they'll be out in a few minutes thought.'

Johnny returns from ridding our area of the snake. He starts saying something to John Gannon and JG replies, "I can't talk right now. I am feeling stress." At this point, we all laugh...JG--stress?  Too funny.

Anyway, I am proud to report that I stayed. In hindsight, it never occurred to me in my "flight" plans to rescue my children.  Hmmm...I may have to work on that next time.  

Do you know what is even more funny? We have had a similar incident before. It was with my Jeep.  Johnny decided to play with a chicken snake in the yard one day. We were on our way somewhere when we spotted it out the window.  After a little bit of playing, the snake had enough, slithered under my jeep...raised up and curled around the rails at the bottom.  From there, it eventually moves to the engine area--all coiled around hoses and engine parts.  Johnny and our friend tried for a while to remove it. It just wasn't happening.  They both get in the Jeep to keep heading to our destination.  What are they thinking?  I get out...Johnny proceeds to start this conversation about how ridiculous I am acting, etc.  I continue to walk down the drive. "I refuse to get back into this vehicle EVER until I see the snake removed."  Ugh...I can see his frustration.  Needless to say, they get back out and after a long while, eventually get the snake extracted.

I love looking at snakes and learning about them.  I just don't like being close enough to one it could touch me.  I will flee the scene.

As always, I am grateful for my husband's adventurous spirit.  Without him in our lives, we would never have stories like this to tell. Go have some meaningful moments!

P.S. John Gannon was able to deal with his stress and eventually started jabbering again...even as I was walking out of the room from tucking him into bed...

Comments

  1. Paula, this is the scariest, funniest thing I've heard in a long while. Ugh! I have a horror of snakes. Nightmares about them since I was a kid. If someone held a bucketful of snake up to me, I don't mind saying I would have fainted! I love John Gannon's line, "I am feeling stress." I feel, ya, J.G. I feel ya. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had been on the love seat with the boys when the snake raised way out of the bucket like I did, I may have fainted myself!!

      Delete

Post a Comment