Why do we do what we do?

Last night we were in Amory and we passed by this huge Factory Connection store. Back in the day, the store was on Main Street and we (my mom and I) were frequent customers.  As we passed this new and improved edition, I reminisced with Johnny about the days of putting clothes in Lay-a-Way every season.  "Why did you put them in lay-a-way?"  he asked.  "That's funny. I really don't know.  As a teenager I always had enough money to just buy them outright. I guess that is just what we always did."  I said.

Have you ever thought about your behavior--I mean every little action?  Behavior theory and many counseling theories state that all of our behavior is goal directed.  Interpretation--we do what we do for a reason.  In other words, all of our outward behaviors are motivated by an internal desire or motivation.  

Some behaviors are learned from one's environment and simply repeated, others are spurred by that internal motivation or goal.  I think it's interesting to think about our behavior in terms of our priorities.  How would you list your priorities?  It has been my observation that people's priority lists rarely match their observable actions.  In most cases, I think it would be more true if we listed a "These are the things I think I should prioritize" list and a "Here is the REAL LIST" list.  Ask a Christian or a church attender--God usually makes the top of the list; Ask someone who has children--Family is usually up there;

Putting all the academic mess aside--the truth is: people generally do what they want to do. If you want to make time for someone you do. If you want to enrich your spiritual life, you do. If you want to be fully present with your children, you put things aside and you do.  If you really want to stop something, you do.  UNLESS the internal desire for something else is greater.  So my theory--it all boils down to------you guessed it---discipline.  The key phrase I mentioned earlier in the 'we do what we want to' comment--is 'WE WANT.'  You see by nature, most of our behaviors/actions are internally motivated by our selfish desire of wanting what we want, what makes our lives easier, and what make us feel the best.  What WE WANT is not always the most fulfilling or beneficial for our lives.  To combat that strong internal motivation is a fight---A BATTLE, A STRUGGLE, A WAR...it requires patience, perseverance, and discipline to win (or change).

Eighty-nine days ago I targeted an area of my life in which I needed to be more disciplined in. For the most part--it has been good--but the struggle, the fight, the battle, the war--they haven't stopped.  It is a daily struggle--but the results of the effort are well worth what I have to battle to engage in the behavior/action.  About 4 weeks ago, I also added another area.  Same thing--the internal motivation is there, the factual knowledge is there, I know the benefits (consequences) of the behavior--but again--it is still a struggle.  As a matter of fact--I had been doing really good in this area until Friday.  I realized it a few minutes ago! I was so mad--in the matter of a few seconds of not thinking--I let my old way of thinking creep up and rob me of the fruits that my disciplined self was reaping!  That fast--I lost! But the good news--Oh--today is a different day--I regroup and engage in the battle.  I let my guard down--but not again!  I will continue to fight and reap the benefits of discipline in this area of my life as well!

So, why do we do what we do?  Because we want to.  How do we change? Live a self-disciplined life.  The Bible is filled with references to perseverance--in order to persevere-- one must give up their selfish desire for one of greater good.  It will be a battle, a struggle, A WAR...arm yourself and fight! Be victorious!

Live a Meaningful Life!

Comments