Oh Wow--I Understand Now! The Difference Between Knowing and Understanding...

I mentioned in a post a few weeks ago how I am always amazed at all there is to learn.  If you look at my past history in education from first grade (kindergarten was only for folks who paid to go in my day) until that terminal degree-you would have a tendency to suggest that I am a good learner.  Well, most of those grades were able to be attained because I have the ability to read information and in a matter of a few minutes regurgitate it regardless if I really understand it or not.  My educational grades and attainment were widely due to a good mix of memorization, writing, and verbal skills.  And to be honest, there are still things today that I "know" but don't understand.  Case in point--a couple of weeks ago one of our friends in the PEAK Homeschool group organized a science presentation at ICC by Stoming Bob Swanson (http://www.storminswanson.com).  He performed demonstrations that helped the kiddos understand the concepts of weather.

Did I know what air pressure is? Of course.  As a matter of fact when I was pregnant with one of my children we had this Science Day at the elementary school I worked at.  I was put in charge of operating this station that included an experiment that demonstrated to the children how air pressure has a tendency to move from higher pressure to lower pressure.  I guided the children in the demonstration and explained this process to about 150 children that day.  (I remember it so vividly--because they all got to blow these cans--that's right--all their breath got to blow towards my face the entire day--did I mention I was pregnant?  I was furious I was put at that booth-I mean--I was in the 'obvious pregnant' state by that time--It wasn't an oversight!  But--it wasn't intentionally done either.  But why in the world couldn't I have helped them make the little rockets or do something that didn't require germy breath being blown in my face?) Well, back to my point.  At this presentation, Storming Bob did this demonstration using a weather balloon.
For the first time in my life--I actually understood the concept of air pressure.  Prior to this day--I could only factually explain the process--ask me to apply it--maybe I could have explained using tire pressure or something--but now--I get it!  You see--for the first time--I understand the concept of air pressure--not just the definition or the facts of air pressure.  I now now why things expand and move according to the pressure in the air.  For the first time--real learning about air pressure took place for me!  You see--all those times I was tested on the concept--I passed.  I could have explained the stuff in front of the class, to the teacher, and taught it to students--and never truly understood myself.  That is why it is vitally important when we are educating our kids that we don't overly-rely on assessments that only require facts to be explained and graded--because sometimes, that can be deceiving! This very fact has made it so difficult for me to chose a "curriculum" in any subject and stay with it--they all just seem so process-based  instead of concept-based (let's learn the process--who cares if you understand the concept).  If any of you know of any true--concept based curriculums that are engaging--please let me know!

Back to Stormin' Bob--He also sings silly songs about weather concepts.  Here are some more pictures from our great learning experience!




Live a Meaningful Life!

Comments