The Girl with the Oily Hair

We had plans, then other plans...then this! Originally, our Spring Break plans involved leaving on Saturday with several other families from our church to take part in Eight Days of Hope--we were going to help rebuild houses in LaPlace, LA. Then, the virus hit our house...It started Tuesday with Jackson and then on Friday with John Gannon. We knew that he should recover in 48 hrs so we decided when he got better, we would just load up and head out--find some mountains, a river, maybe snow, get on a train, a skybox...you know--have some adventure...but that all changed Monday! I went and had lunch with my aunt, Susan and when I came back home John Gannon had started vomiting again and was very lethargic...we went to the dr...and now--here we sit--at the hospital--waiting for the dr to let us know if we are staying another night! Whew...plans.

Do you ever wonder when things like this happen why they do? I am not talking about the poor pitiful me why? I mean--the reason--like are we being spared from something else, were we suppose to be at home this week for another purpose--or is it all just circumstance? I don't have the answers to any of those questions--but I do wonder.

And as always, when things like this happen, I have a gentle reminder or learning point straight from the Holy Spirit--urging me just to love people--exactly the way they are! I didn't sleep very much last night and so it has made for a sleepy day! I decided around 1 today I would get out a bit and see if it would energize me. I grabbed my purse, checked the mirror and almost sat back down. When I looked in the mirror--there it was--the hair--of which I hate right now--all oily looking! "I can't go anywhere," I thought. I reasoned through it, "I am just going to Dirt Cheap and some consignment stores--I'll fit in." So, off I went. I could "see the thoughts--she needs to wash her hair, she needs to do something with that hair..." Women, you know the thoughts I "saw." I saw them because they are thoughts I have. I look at an outward appearance and automatically make some judgements--stupid judgements that only serve to separate me from other people! It keeps me from communicating what I believe I am created to do--love people--oily hair and all!

If we do have to stay another night, I guess I will plan on washing the hair...but I hope I do remember not to even notice stupid outward appearance--maybe I will just see people--creations--created by my God!

Comments