What I Learned About Learning...An Education Reminder

**Our desks are now the couch and kitchen counter! John was starting 2nd grade, Jackson was 3!

I can't believe it. This is the start of our 5th year homeschooling. It has been an adventure for sure. For those of you who have never taken on the task, please know it is very rewarding, but there is also a struggle. You see, there is often doubt, "Am I doing the right thing?" "Am I teaching them enough?" "Am I messing them up?" "Are they learning everything they need to?" Over the years, those questions do not pop up as frequently as they did my first two years, but they still surface their stupid heads ever so often! As a matter of fact, while traveling this summer I got a pretty bad case of the Homeschool Defeat Syndrome.

I attended a homeschool convention during the spring semester. I, along with a group of ladies that attended, went in together and purchased mp3 copies of all the sessions. There were so many that I wanted to attend. Since we have been traveling, one of my favorite things to do is lay in the hammock, grab a notebook, and listen to a session...or two :) I have gotten lots of good ideas, thoughts, and encouragement.

On this particular day, I happened to listen to 2 sessions from very well known people/companies within the homeschool world. And it happened. I was questioning my whole approach. John Gannon has dyslexia, so his ability to hear sounds, spell, write, read, and memorize has been a curve we have been traveling. Because of that, our approach often looks a little different from more classical education models. After listening to these two sessions I was pretty convinced I had messed my kids up. I mean, I should have been forcing them to only read classic, solid literature. I should purge John Gannon's shelf of all the Diary of a Wimpy Kid type books. Those pictures and engaging, funny to him texts, were ultimately ruining his brain, morals, and spirituality. Also, all of the documentaries and electronic learning he has participated in....well, I was sure he and Jackson were on the road to failure, and it was all my fault.

I carried this for about 48 hours. I prayed. I made a booklist for the upcoming year of school. I was ready to become the enforcer and have them get it together. And then this day happened...


If you have been reading about our summer travels, I wrote about this place yesterday. I mentioned at the end I learned something about education. You see, for a least a year John has been wanting to learn to bunny hop on his bike. In order to do that, you have to make the front and back tires come off the ground at the same time. Over the past year, he has tried hundreds of times. Each time, he asks Johnny and I the hopeful question, "Did I do it?" I have heard Johnny on numerous occasions give him high quality instruction on the subject. He has demonstrated the technique over and over for him. We have given him pointers of where his technique was failing. All to no avail. 

All the solid factors were present: high level of motivation to learn, willingness to practice over and over, high quality instruction, positive corrective instruction, and demonstration. All of the "researched based methodology" was leading to the same result--no learning outcome! While at the pump track in the picture above, I walked around and read all of the placards around the track. Of course, there were the usual safety instructions, mountain bike gear descriptions, etc. And then they started this series of visual instruction with one sentence texts. One showed how to do a wheelie, how to pump, and then....how to bunny hop. I mentioned to John Gannon that he might want to take a look at the bunny hop one. He rode over. He studied the signage for about 2-3 minutes. Went onto the road, put the information into practice, and asked the familiar question, "Did I do it?"  "YES!!!" I screamed. "You did it, John! YOU DID IT!" He began obsessively hopping all over the road. "I can't wait until dad gets off the trail to show him this!" he exclaimed with such excitement.

A series of 5 or 6 PICTURES with one sentence text was all it took. I smiled in excitement as I watched his success. I prayed a prayer of thankfulness that God was able to confirm that letting him see images and pictures was a valid method of instruction for him. 

My reminder for the day was that people learn differently.  I will not let other's opinions and beliefs shape what I know works for my children. I will continue to look for new strategies with an open mind in the areas in which they struggle....spelling....ugh.... If your child is constantly feeling like a failure in any educational arena there is a high likely hood it is due to the fact there is a conflict with his/her learning style and the delivery method of instruction. I see this in my house all the time. 

Teachers, make your self teach using completely different methodology. For those struggling learners, stop wasting time with instruction you know they don't respond to. More of things that don't work will never equal success.

For all of you homeschool moms, be encouraged. We all do it differently. Be inspired by others but never walk away carrying guilt for implementing strategies that you have data to show that work! God created and designed the brains we each have. Thank goodness, they do not all operate the same.  Each one of us is uniquely gifted to carry out God's given purpose for our life! 

Our "official" back to school start date is Monday. I am excited about another year to be able to invest in our boys almost every day (I work on Mondays).  And hopefully, I won't mess them up too bad! :) 
Live a Meaningful Life!


Comments