Enough!

I often look at my children and have these kinds of thoughts:
  •  "It is so funny. These kids actually just get in the car and trust me to take them somewhere. They trust me to feed them, provide clothes, and supply their basic needs. Little did they know, I had never even held a newborn before."
The only time I have ever heard them express concern is if we are taking longer than expected to arrive somewhere or if it has been a while since the last grocery trip! They just blindly trust, like in the picture above. They trust Johnny and I to meet their needs and love them. When they wake up every morning, there are no burdens or worries and days are filled with exploration, play, and freedom.

When I think about how much they trust us, I am reminded this is exactly how I am to trust God. He reminds me so much throughout scripture: Matthew 6:25-34 or Luke 12:24-34 is the first that comes to mind. The shortened version: He takes care of the birds and the flowers. How much more would he take care of us? Don't worry what tomorrow brings! Phillipians 4:6 Don't be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and supplication, make your requests known to God.

Even though I am reminded of this throughout scripture and even my circumstances, I often struggle. For one, I am pretty independent. So the first thing that pops into my brain when difficult circumstances may arise is, "What can I do about this?" "How can I make some extra money?" Second, our past often shapes our view of the present. My trust was severely violated by the abuse and manipulation I was exposed to as a child/teen. I do not let many people share my inner world, those personal thoughts and feelings. As a matter fact, I can only think of 2 people... So, yes, I have trust issues.

For you non-believers I am sure you would point and say: "Of course you have trust issues. If there was a God, you would not have been abused. He would have rescued you from that." I understand from your perspective that sounds reasonable. But for me, God is the only one who knew my struggle, saw my tears, and gave me the strength to overcome. Why is there evil in the world if there is a God? For me, that is a simple answer...sin. We all struggle and face a battle with it. You see, if you tell me that we are all good and there is no moral compass, then I have to accept all behavior. NO THANK YOU! My abuser let evil win in his heart and mind. He acted upon it, seemingly without any remorse. If he is good, then how in the world did that happen? 

Back to my original point. I have trust issues. But for the past few months, I cannot deny that I have seen the fruit of what trusting in God produces. And I can tell you, it is so good! Time after time, I have seen God work in ways that only providence can explain.  Three things in particular, I claim are real miracles--there is no other explanation! From marriages starting to be restored, chains of addiction being broken, money being provided, needs being provided, friendships being formed, and more. 

I am slowly learning. When you are prompted, give...Write notes to encourage others...Get out and meet new people...Get invested in people's lives, even when they are messy...Love them. Be an example, and most importantly, pray and seek God's direction in all circumstances! Put your trust in Him--the Creator, Sustainer, and Provider.

**Just a side note--God is not a genie. We often learn the most from valleys or times of struggle. My point is that regardless of our circumstances, He has a plan that we can trust. 

Live A Meaningful Life!

Comments