Chocolate Pie Memories

This is not my pie, even though mine is just as pretty. This is actually a picture from the Pioneer Woman. I am at the library and not able to take a picture of my beauties!
I love chocolate pie. I have such fond memories of eating a huge chunk while sitting at the round table of my Mother Ballard (my great-grandmother). I can’t tell you how many times I have watched her whisk a meringue into shape. She always said the secret was a little lemon juice. I even remember eating a piece of the last one she cooked. Her health wasn’t so great, and I am pretty sure there was more flour than sugar put into that one. 

Fast forward several years and I discover that my step-mom (Fran) makes a fine, generational-recipe chocolate pie. About once a year I get to taste the goodness. And if there is an extra, I usually take it home and hope that Johnny hasn’t finished it off every time I open the fridge! 

I must go ahead and confess to you all, I committed a horrendous sin today. I called Fran and asked, “Can you give me the recipe for the chocolate pie?” Now, in my defense, my reasoning at the time was that I wanted to have my brave, hard-working husband a nice dinner, complete with dessert, ready when he got home. AND my Memaw (grandmother) had given me some pie shells recently that I needed to use. SO, being the homemaker wife (lol) that I am, I whipped him up two pretty chocolate pies. John Gannon and I licked the bowl and whisk after I poured them up and oh..my..word.. Sin, pure sin! Since the recipe makes 2 I may just have to make it a practice to bestow one of these beauties onto someone every time I make them so I can resist the temptation. So, let me know if you like chocolate pie, you just never know. OH—and I don’t make meringue, I have never liked it.


Chocolate pie, oh how I love thee. Such sweet memories and as for the future-well, hopefully it will not be filled with few more added pounds!

Live a  Meaningful Life!

Comments