Imagination

What is that noise?  It is faint and has a monotonous rhythm...oh, the ceiling fan!  Around my house hearing a faint sound is a miracle!  Our rooms are generally busting with adventurous tales, lively play, and fierce battles.  But for the moment--I hear the sound of the ceiling fan motor, the breathing of a sleeping, almost four year old, and some random laughs from the "just-turned" eight year old and the forever 39 year old.  Who knows what they are doing upstairs?  

Any of you who have known me long are aware that I am an advocate of the imagination!  I love to hear my boys create something from what seems like nothing. Just the other day I was quite proud of John Gannon's imagination.  He and Johnny were upstairs creating/playing army with the little plastic men and some forts. At some point, Johnny dozed off to sleep and was awakened by a burning pain sensation on his hand. The day before, he had acquired a blister from kayaking in Alabama. He looked down at his hand only to find a plastic T-Rex (being manned by JG) biting the blister.  "Look Daddy, the T-Rex bit you!" PRICELESS!!!

Yesterday, I was folding laundry and I heard quite the commotion in the kitchen--I was sure some creative energy was being put to good use.  A few minutes later, a musician walked into the room and invited me to the music show.  I sat down and listened as Jackson carefully played 9 Mason quart, pint, and half-pint jars with different size spoons and butter knives.  After the performance he bowed and gave me permission to return to what I was doing! Priceless!!!

I think I love my children's imaginations so much because I really just don't seem to have one.  I remember a few things I played as a child that required me to use my imagination but where did it go?  Somewhere, I have gotten lost in reality and only spout facts. I read the directions and use things for what they were designed to do. I check things off of lists and make sure I get all the "necessary" tasks done.  I am boring--I have known that for lots of years!  I think it was highlighted best by a recent Newlywed game Johnny and I played with some friends.  The question was, "Who is best at handling the finances?"  Knowing that I am a nerd, that is a no brainer for either of us to answer--unless you think a little deeper (as my husband often does).  He asks "Are you talking about who is able to best save it or who is able to create experiences and have fun with it?"  I smiled on the inside rather largely because of the truth he pointed out.  For the past 17+ years of my life--all of the fun things/experiences we have had are largely due to his creativity, his rebellion against systemic systems and traditions, his love of adventure, and of course his willingness to spend money to do some of those things.  Without him...oh me, I am pretty sure it would be get up, work, come home and do the tasks, wake up and repeat--oh me--that is scary!!

I hope that unlike me, my boys can follow their Daddy's lead and always be filled with creativity and imagination.  In the meantime, I plan to cherish it, embrace the interruptions, and clean up as many messes that are necessary...Funny thing--while I have been typing, Jackson woke up, went upstairs and just returned. He came with a leopard print cowboy hat, a stick horse, and a pair of shades.  I was handed the shades. I must go--I have some imagining to do!  Live a Meaningful Life!

Comments