For the Love of It


I thought I would do a little reflective writing today. I have avoided that for a while due to several reasons. But here it goes.

My thoughts were prompted the other day by a statement Johnny made when we were sitting outside having one of our chat sessions as he strummed the guitar.  He began this discussion about the difference among people when they do something because they love it versus out of obligation or because it has become "what" they do. I know you have seen the difference in others and probably within yourself. I think at the core of us, whatever we chose to do, we start with a sense of excitement and over a period of time that begins to wane and the routine of it eventually robs us of the passion and love we once held.

I have a friend over the past several years who made some major life changes and she actually came to this conclusion: You are not intended to enjoy and love what you do. It is is work. It is not enjoyable. You have to deal with it. Loving what you do is a lie. Work is a necessity to eat and survive, that is all. If you get to help someone in the process, then that is good.

Johnny and I are both at a place where we love what we do. I am pretty sure Johnny would be on the river from the first trip to the last every day if possible. As a matter of fact he whines a little if a day goes and he hasn't gotten wet. I love being able to focus on making connections with students and inspiring them to succeed instead of being surrounded by a bunch of educated people who preface their name with titles and attach credentials to their signatures, who don't follow through with what they say, and think they are the answer to the world's problems.

As I reflected back over the 23 years of my work life I realize that I have really loved all of my jobs. However, there were some circumstances that made some of them not so enjoyable. Usually, it was due to "system" issues. You know: rules that make people in suits happy but make no sense to the people providing the services, paperwork increases and bureaucracy comes to invade. What seems like common sense and an easy fix, would take months to implement. Or better yet, you had to be the "face" of a system or in a meeting that didn't necessarily align with what you thought was best. I am glad that I don't have to sit in meetings and cognitively repeat to myself over and over "Just be quiet. Think about good things."

In hindsight, I must admit that I regret some of those times. I missed some times of being an advocate, allowing the system to act as a bully. And at times, I would lose sight of what I was there to do: help.

For the last 9 years of my life, I have been a recovering Type A personality. I must admit that I often have periods of regression, but letting go of all the projects/to do lists,  no longer playing the superhero/martyr role of never asking for help and overloading myself, and letting tasks/things/goals rob me of being fully "present" with people has been so freeing. So here is my conclusion: is work something you should love? I don't think I should get so caught up in my work that I forget to see the value of the humans around me--the ones I am serving through work or the little eyes that look at me everyday. Will you love every task you are required to do, probably not. But for me, if I invest my time in something these days, I want it to have meaning. I want those minutes of my life to count for something. So in all tasks: the grocery store trips, laundry, playing a game with friends or family, visits or even in my work I seek to have a sense of enjoyment and not dread.

It just so happens my friend I made reference to changed jobs. The profession is the same, just a completely different field. Guess what--she told me this morning she feels like a different person and is loving it. So, if you are at a place in which you are growing resentful and do not find any value/love of what you do, maybe change is not such a bad thing. Sometimes that might mean a new job or it simply could mean a new outlook/approach. The best moments can be those that just happen and required no planning. Being intentional and mindful about making/cherishing meaningful moments can help you not work your life away.

And as I go, I will leave you with a quote I read this morning shared by my dad's neighbor who lost a son to cancer: "Memories matter cause sometimes it's all you have left." Don't let life rob you. Figure out where things of value really exist and be intentional.

When asked to summarize what our focus should be Christ said it best, "Love God & Love others."

Live a Meaningful Life!


Comments

  1. Paula, I love you. Thank you for this! I'm subscribed. You really touched my heart. Truth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for taking the time to share this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment