FL Part 3: The End...

Pictures like this warm my heart. Having two active boys definitely create fun times around our house. While I know they are very best friends, sometimes their behavior towards each other will fool you. SO, when you see tender displays of affection like this...it really does my heart good. And to know that Mr. Safety was allowing Jackson a "safe" opportunity to get back on the skateboard the day after his spill that led to a broken arm, was even more special. 

Johnny was excited to teach the boys how to skate! On the way to their first lesson, Jackson immediately hopped on his and decided since he could stand on it good like in the skate shop, he could go as fast as he wanted. A few seconds later, John Gannon is running to catch up with Johnny who is on his way to give them their first lessons to let him know that Jackson has broken his arm. Since the accident, Johnny has helped John Gannon skate each day and much to our surprise, he is loving it! We only bought 2 because we really thought JG would quickly loose interest and Jackson would be the one who wanted to continue. John Gannon hasn't touched his bike since he got the board and is loving it! We will probably have to order a new board for this guy in a few weeks. He can't miss out on all the fun!

 I guarantee it won't be long and these three will be cruising the streets together.
John Gannon and I are a little worried. Of course, Johnny never does anything halfway. As a matter of fact, he told me the other day "it is all coming back to me." Oh me...do they have skating competitions for old people? After he and JG went skating one day, JG came back and warned me that Johnny was getting dangerous. He said he isn't satisfied with just riding anymore. He is doing crazy tricks and stuff and stumbling around. He is going to break a bone if you don't get him under control. I think you need to talk to him :)



And of course, with boys, I can never just sit and enjoy the sidelines. They keep on until you participate. I try to lay low because I don't want to damage their pride or anything!
 Look at those mad skills.
Here are some more pictures from our trip to Jacksonville. I know I talk about our boys different personalities a lot. This picture is one of those that capture it! JG is creating and Jackson is trying to figure out how to make it an intense, adrenaline filled experience. I helped Jackson out with this one. I told him when to jump so John Gannon would not see him...otherwise a lecture would have ensued.
 I am so thankful I have not missed one moment with these boys. Almost 6 years ago I wondered if I was making a mistake by leaving full-time work. Today, I can tell you it was one of the best decisions we have ever made. In your brain, you wonder if you really can make it on one income. We haven't missed a beat and are doing just as well! But just a word to the wise (we didn't have debt). I have said a hundred times over--debt keeps you in slavery to a job and will rob you of living with choices.
I wanted to hear the story of the people on this boat. They stayed overnight and the next morning, raised their sails and headed into the abyss. I wondered where they were going, how long they had been out, were they grieving, celebrating, living a dream? Each person God created has a unique story...I love hearing them.








 Which one is the man? Johnny just looked over my shoulder and watched me type this, he said, "The one with all the muscles!"

 How is he already 13?
 And 9?
 I love experiencing and watching these moments but another part wants to hang onto them forever and scream "slow down!"
Guess what Jacksonville allows on their beaches? 
Normal people ride beach cruisers or fat tires...us? Of course not...we got to ride with reg. mountain tires. Notice who we are following! Thank goodness our leg muscles are in good condition!



 Our fort, complete with a 1 ft trench turned out pretty good. We created clans inside and battled.
 There were lots of young birds on the beach every day.


Have I ever told you all how much I love this guy? It is not an easy task loading and unloading 4 bikes, boats and all our garb we take places. I am so thankful he makes sure we have adventure in our lives! And on the plus side...we now have a man-sized child who can carry a load as well!

As you may already know, we had to leave Florida due to insurances and dr. offices. I cannot believe all of the obstacles we had simply trying to get little Jack an ortho. appt. All I know to say is the medical industry should be ashamed! We even decided to move to Biloxi, S. AL, or S. LA so we would be in state. We had already called and found several places for us to move. Still...after having records forwarded, getting referrals and jumping through all the stupid hoops, no appt. One lady even called me back and said she reviewed our stuff with her office manager and she suggested I file a complaint because this should not be happening. On Friday, when the 5th dr.'s office called and said they were not going to make him an appt., I quit. At that point, it was almost laughable and comforting in a way. I knew without a doubt that for some reason we were suppose to be in NMS for the month of Feb. I wondered if I would run into similar problems calling the ortho dr. we had always used. The drs. in FL said I would be fine as long as I was in MS. Three offices in MS who are in our network would not make us an appt.! Feeling so disgusted, angry, and helpless, I called the Tupelo office. In less than 60 seconds I had an appt. So, we packed up and began the move on Sunday. Listening to Jackson say he didn't want to leave FL right now on Sunday morning as we were ready to leave was pretty heartbreaking. None us wanted to leave the sun and warmth. However, we firmly believe that while it appears we make decisions, there is someone with a greater plan than us that ultimately directs our path and steps. Jackson's appt is tomorrow afternoon. Here's to hoping he doesn't need surgery!

On Saturday afternoon I realized I had not taken a single picture of any of our new friends. We loved living among all the seniors! I love their stories and the wisdom that can be gleaned. You could spend your entire day with a new friend if you went outside and made eye contact! While I didn't have time to track down everyone, here are a few...

These were our neighbors across the street (not the ones that helped with the water pump--they had been gone overnight so I wasn't able to get their picture). On occasion the boys and I would lose Johnny and often, he was found outside of their camper chatting. They were such kind people. 
Here is the life of the party! He always had a big smile and greeted the boys with a fist bump every time he saw them. He shared his story of living a rough life to eventually retiring from John Deere. He now travels around racing RC cars. The boys loved watching him race at the track at the campground. They would be the gophers for him--running to turn his car back over if he crashed.
The day that Jackson had his accident, this guy happened to be outside and followed the boys back to our camper. He was a retired paramedic from New York. He came inside and splinted Jackson's arm while we gathered things together to get him to the ER. The dr. at the hospital said it was the most creative field splint he had ever seen. Johnny cut him some cardboard to use and he secured it with some athletic tape and made a sling with JG's belt. Of course, he and Jackson became best buds after that. As a matter of fact, Jackson remembered the camp site number he was in. I had asked him when we were leaving to go to the er so that we could locate him to thank him once everything was settled.
This couple was so very kind as well. They are volunteer missionaries in the summer months. During the winter months they come to this campground because it is near their grandson. He comes and stays with them during the weekends. He is 9 and he and Jackson hit it off. This particular Saturday, he had a basketball tournament so we missed out on getting his picture with Jack. They played every weekend...all day long on Saturday and all afternoon on Sundays until he had to go home.
 
I met this lady while working. I was in search of a stronger wifi signal one day and found a room beside the laundry room that would work. She was in there working as well. She is 70 and was teaching as an adjunct. We quickly hit it off and spent more time talking than working!
This lady was a single widow who pulls this huge 5th wheel camper all over the country. She is leaving after the first week of Feb. and moving to LA then TX. I got to spend a couple of hours sitting around the fire with her listening to her reminisce about her husband (who died 8 years ago) and hearing her life story.

I think one of the greatest things we can do is sit and listen. When you really listen you can hear brokenness, strength, wisdom, anger, hurt...all kinds of things. I am so thankful we have time. Time to invest in the lives of others in more authentic ways. I am amazed sometimes when I think about the ripple benefits of meeting people. In every interaction, I firmly believe their is a purpose. Will I know the end story of all of them? No, but I can trust and know that in the meantime, it is meaningful.

Live a Meaningful Life!


Comments