Things the Forest Took from Us

We have officially left the forest for a few months. I looked at a picture this morning and had to close the app because I was thinking about how much I was going to miss that view and environment. As I reflected about our six months there, I realized that the forest actually took some things from us.

1. A chaotic schedule: I stopped working a normal full time job 5 1/2 years ago, but Johnny and I will both tell you that our schedule became even more chaotic. I did some private practice work, adjunct (land based) teaching, and a 50 day contract to provide counseling services at the youth detention center. Did I mention I am a full time teacher during the day for our boys? The work I got paid for was mostly afternoon/evening work--if you add to that sports practices, church or any other obligations it was even more exhausting! Sure, we have had some busy days in the forest, but nothing like what we left! Simple is better.

2. The TV: Guess how many channels we could get? NONE! While we have not had tv service for over 15 years other than an antenna, we would still sit and find something to watch. For the last 6 months, any tv time through dvds or streaming a movie from Prime, we had to be more intentional about our choices. Simple is better.

3. Excess stuff: We have only what we use! There is not room for more. We do have some things that we initially thought we might use that we will be get ridding of in the next few weeks. As a matter of fact, we are going back through our storage container and weed it out even more. We kept some things to fill a house with if we went back to normal living. I have decided if I don't love it, I no longer want it! Do you need something? We may have it and be ready to get rid of it! Simple is better.

4. Neighbors that live, look, and think like us: For the most part, there are lots of similarities (at least at the surface level) among the people you live near. We loved where we lived and had great neighbors. The forest has surrounded us with people from all walks of life and ideologies. We have been surrounded by people who are living in their vehicles or tents out of necessity, some by choice, some who have vans worth over a hundred grand, some multi millionaires, people from other countries. I can honestly say I have learned to love people even more! Simple is better.

5. A comfortable income: Johnny and I have taken on the challenge of trying to live only on the income in which we worked for in TN. AND that my friends, is very close to the poverty level. First year raft guide pay is laughable! That is why you tip them! A single guy who lives in guide housing may benefit from a few more perks, but the married guy with 2 kids who eat a weeks worth of groceries in two days..tip your guides, have I said that already? Regardless of the amount of money, Johnny and I have made it work. As a matter of fact, it kind of became a game/challenge. We succeeded because we spent money on paper first--yep--the budget. Regardless of the pay, we both have loved our jobs! Now during the winter months, that will probably not be happening because our expenses will be increasing. I often consider going full-time with the university I work for but I have to have a dependable source of internet and our hotspot will not cut it in the forest. Despite our very small income we haven't missed a thing...honestly. We haven't missed a thing. More would make it easier, but simple requires more faith!

6. The fear of regret: It is gone. I was so afraid we would end up retiring from our jobs, the kids would grow up and we would have never taken the risk to live a little differently while they were with us. Really, I was really afraid of that. I can honestly say, whoo hoo! We did it! Simple is better.

What will the next few months take from us? I have no clue, but I am exited to see!

Live A Meaningful Life!


Comments