Big Toe, Arm Pit & Leg Hair--The Making of A Man

I am absolutely fascinated with my boys' preoccupation with the growth of their body hair. When John Gannon had his cast taken off the leg hair on that leg was very prominent due to the lack of sun exposure. After close inspection, he noted that he has patches of long black hairs on his toes. Jackson and I were the only ones home at the time of this grand discovery. He asked me if this was normal. Laughing, I said "Yes, were you concerned?" "Yes, I was worried I might be morphing into a Sasquatch." That was the end of that...or so I thought. Fast forward several hours and Johnny comes in from work. As Johnny is prepping the Keurig Jackson asks, "Daddy, do you have hair on your big toes?" Johnny laughs and assures them he does. Jackson says, "Ok," and seems to finally be satisfied with the answer from the male. Obviously I may not have really known.

This morning, Jackson and I were playing/wresting around and he kept trying to take my hand and touch his armpit with my hand (8 yr. old boy humor I suppose...). At some point, he stopped and proclaimed that he had pulled a hair out of his armpit. I jokingly told him that three will grow back in its place. Excitedly he said, "Really?" I immediately explained that I was joking and encouraged him not to be torturing himself in a effort to grow armpit hair. I asked him why in the world he was so preoccupied with hair growth during puberty (and I reminded him he a few years of waiting). He said, "I like it because I am not a woman. I am a man."

Oh me. If only the growth of hair made a man or a woman.

What does the future hold for these two young men we are lucky to have around and spend our lives with? I have no clue. I am thankful they have a good example of a man living with them daily and taking the time to invest in their lives. I pray daily that will grow up to love God and others, having adventures along the way. And if their desire is to be hairy, may their hair grow!


Comments

  1. Wonderful. I am sure girls go through a similar struggle, but i only know it from the male perspective. Your story brought back memories of my own transformation from boy to manhood. I too was lucky to have a good example. Johnny truly is a good man, and I am glad for all of you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment