The Night I Lost My Husband...Summer Travels #3

We are home from our summer adventures. We are grateful to have a place to come home to, but our spirits were a little sad on Monday when we knew the road was leading home. From the last week of May we have only been home 11 days. This last part of our trip lasted 19 days and definitely held some adventure for us. Instead of doing one long post I am going to do several over the next couple of weeks.

I start here for a reason. I will NEVER forget it. While in TN a few people mentioned that we should go over to Virginia and bike the Virginia Creeper Trail. We had never heard of it before. It is a rails to trails bike trail. They explained where we needed to go and could have a 17 mile scenic ride downhill. So, we did what we do. We headed that way on day 9 our adventure.

It all starts here.
You see my husband craves adventure. He never does anything halfway. I have often considered creating some criteria to be included in the new DSM version to address the disorder. It would include things like: loves outdoor risk taking, making safe activities dangerous because staying on paths and going at a decent pace are not as fun, hills are embraced challenges that are craved, water that churns you like butter is fun, and of course, a complete disillusionment as evidenced by the fact when you ask if some task is fun or doable--the answer is always, YES--especially if it pushes your body to its physical limits. Boy have I learned over the years. But, I would not trade it for anything. He is the reason my life is fun. I have learned that not having plans is SO MUCH better than having some. And I embrace the fact that even on the simplest adventures, our stories are often enhanced with details that without him, well it would just be another boring story!

Now, back to Virginia. Our friend recommended a neat camping place called Beartree. It was surrounded by blooming rhododendron and was absolutely beautiful.
Upon arrival we were greeted by the camp host. During conversation he mentioned that when we left the campground if we turned left there was a place to get on the trail just a couple of miles up. We had passed several on the way but that would add a little more to the ride. Turns out the trail, The Virginia Creeper, gets its name because the old steam engines had to creep up the mountain because of the consistent inclined slope. But, the other way around, it promised lots of fun on a bike! We set up camp and enjoyed exploring the campground on bikes and feet. The boys connected with another boy and all kinds of imaginative play started blossoming on the playground. Around 7:30 pm, Johnny decided that he probably needed to go ride the trail to make sure that we understood our friend correctly and would be traveling downhill and not uphill. I thought that was an excellent idea because a 17 mile hill just didn't really appeal to me at all! He was only going to do the section that was near our campground into town, which would not be the entire 17 miles, only a short portion. So he told me to leave around 8:30, park in town and that he would meet me there. 

Around 8:40 the boys and I planted ourselves at a nice city park in Damascus. I had full cell signal and texted Johnny our specific location so when he got into town he could find us. The boys were playing on the playground at the park, and I chatted on the phone with some folks back home since we had cell service. We often go days with having any. While on the phone with a friend I received a call from Damascus, VA. I figured it was Johnny on a borrowed phone for some reason. I quickly ended the call with my friend and flipped over to take that call. I could hear faint voices in the background but not one would respond to my repeated, "hellos." A few minutes later the number called back and the same thing happened. I really didn't think much of it. I knew no one in this town had my number but was pretty sure it was just Johnny. Even though I had full signal I assumed the phone he was borrowing just didn't have a strong signal. I did wonder why he was borrowing a phone since I had full service, his phone should have had the same. After a few minutes passed, I called the number that had called. This is when my whole world started to change...

A female answered the phone. I said something like this: "Hi, I have received two calls from this number and was just wanting to check back." The lady said, "Ummm, we haven't called you." Puzzled, I said thanks and hung up. I looked at the time on my phone and realized it was now 9:30!!!! There was no way it should have taken him over 2 hours to ride a few miles downhill. Oh my gosh, the ONLY way someone in this town would have my number is if...they had his phone. That woman...she said WE didn't call you. Which means, she isn't alone. Which means one of two things, my husband is dead or hurt really, really bad and they stole his phone. There is no way he would have went down without a bad fight. They must have had a gun. OH NO! I texted him our exact location. They are probably headed to find us now. I have got to get the boys to safety! 

I called for the boys, and we quickly made our way to the truck. As we approached the truck I asked a man leaving the restroom where the police station was located. He gave me directions and kindly asked me if we needed some assistance right now. I was focused on getting us out of there and politely said we were ok. Of course, at this point, the boys started an entourage of questions. I answered honestly with no emotion. I was not feeling anything at this point. It was just thoughts. Thoughts that I have got to get to a safe place and the unthinkable...what in the world am I going to do? Upon arrival at the police station all indications were there was no one there. I told the boys we would stay in the truck for a little while and wait. We did for a few minutes but the more I thought, I mean honestly, there is NO WAY it should be taking him this long and it is now dark. So, the boys and I got out and made our way to the door of the police station. We read the sign on the door that explained how to contact the police if we were in need. I pulled my phone up to dial the number and an officer pulls up.

I hash the details out to the officer. He said, "Ma'am...I think we need to go inside." I could not believe this was happening. As the door closed behind myself and those two precious boys, I had a feeling of terror flash through my body like lightening. I quickly got it together because there was absolutely no way I could loose it right then. As the officer shuffled around some papers, my phone rang. It was from Johnny's phone. My heart leaped into a large knot into my throat as I quickly answered. IT WAS HIM! "Where are you?" he asked so calmly? "AT THE POLICE STATION! Where are you?" "I'll be there in a minute," he says. I quickly told the officer it was him. The officer's response, "Whew. I am glad. We rarely have any crime around here but this sounded serious." The officer, the boys and I go outside of the station and within a few minutes Johnny and little gray haired man emerged from a side alley. 

Turns out, Johnny turned left when he left the campground on the bike, like the host suggested. He missed the trail entrance sign that was only two miles up from our campground because it was covered with a tree branch (we discovered the next day). Instead, he rode to the next access point. On our way to ride the trail, we measured the distance and it was 10.5 miles...up a mountain! It was 3 miles to get out of the campground. Johnny had ridden 13.5 miles up a mountain before he ever even got on the trail. And guess what, he was almost at the point where we would be riding from the next day. So, instead of the trail being a few miles into town, it was now a little over 14 miles. The sun was setting as he entered the trail. He said he was flying down the trail just hoping there was not anything in his way that would cause him to crash. He said he knew we were probably concerned and he was trying to get to us as soon as possible. He eventually got to a part of the trail that was in a residential area and he saw a man in his yard. The man reported it was 5 miles to town. Johnny explained a little of his ordeal to Mr. Carl and he insisted on driving Johnny into town. At this point, Johnny was relived and really was just going to ride the 5 miles. Downhill at his pace, it would only take him a short amount of time. But, Mr. Carl just insisted. He brought Johnny his phone and he tried to call me a couple of time to no avail! Johnny didn't have any service on the trail. 

So, there we were...the police officer, Mr. Carl, the boys, myself and Johnny on the sidewalk in front of the police station all cherishing the story. When I was telling my part, Mr. Carl called out his phone number, and it was a match! Mr. Carl said his wife knew they had tried to call and was puzzled why she would not have a least given some indication to me on the phone. Ugh...anyway, I had my husband back and right then, that is all that mattered to me! I wish I had thought to snap a picture of sweet Mr. Carl, but I didn't. 

I can not begin to describe the emotion I felt as we all drove back to the campground. It was hours before I was able to go to sleep due to all the emotional after effects that flooded my body. The following day, Johnny entertained us as we drove up the mountain that he had biked up the previous evening. He was giving us insight to his thoughts as he rounded each curve and there was MORE uphill! Gotta love him--he is always full of adventure.

Turns out, the Virginia Creeper did not disappoint. The boys and I LOVED it! Here are some pictures from our journey on the trail...


 There are several cool places to stop on the trail.
This is the original train station. It housed a general store in which they have preserved with many original items in it. We rolled into this place at the perfect time!
While there, a thunderstorm suddenly popped up. 
 We stayed in and around the store until the storm passed.
While there, John started conversing with these two men, Arlee and Harold. They immediately connected and John wanted me to take his picture with them. I still can't get over how big JG is at 11.




 The trail follows this creek all the way. It has lots, over 30 I am sure, wooden bridges.
Sometimes when you explore, you fall AND one of your children just happen to have the camera in their hand! Ouch, that hurt!
 Jackson found some tiny snails.




 I love him so much! So thankful he was around for us to take another picture together!
 He conquered the rock after a few unsuccessful attempts.


And he thought getting up there was the hard part! Poor John, he was really scared in this picture. I had gone down this way, and he decided to follow.


I love this picture. There is so much in nature to touch, explore, and figure out. Get outside--it is invaluable to your health!



We intended on biking the trail again the following day but the rain had other plans for us. We packed up camp and headed to another destination (that we had not even picked out yet).

To commemorate my experience, I bought a t-shirt at the little general store on the trail. So, if you see me wearing it, just know that shirt represents so much more to me than just the trail itself. It serves as a reminder, to cherish the moments you have with those you are around. Never take a moment for granted. Quit sitting around letting life just pass you by doing the same old stupid stuff that will not matter in the end. Go live some meaningful moments. And as I type, I just got an invitation to take a morning bike ride with Jackson. So, I will leave my comfy, cool spot on the couch and go for a ride!

Live a Meaningful Life!

Comments