Little Things Can Be Big Deals

Little Things...hand in hand sunset walks on the beach with your sons

While sitting at the river one day on our last trip, I made a neat observation I had never made before. You see, we often have to walk through a section of water to get where we want to be. And while that may sound like a simple task, it is probably one of the most dangerous things we do. The rocks underwater are super slick! You will bust your tail in a minute. On this particular day I noticed that if you will make sure and step on the small rocks, you do not have that problem at all. Seriously, they are easy to navigate and give you lots of traction. However, if you misstep and touch one of the larger ones, you should get ready to slip and slide! 

The water I was looking at when I made the observation

In this particular analogy, the small things are big deals. Those little rocks lurking under the surface can bring you great help and joy. In my own life, there are so many little things that are big deals to me. Things like: Jackson grabbing my hand when we are walking, John putting his arm around me, Johnny looking at me and telling me I am beautiful, a kind word from a stranger, an encouraging text,  a shared smile, a phone call or email, a listening ear, a person brave enough to share something with me to hold me accountable for my actions, a breeze on a hot day, the view from my back porch, the laughter of children....I can go on if you haven't got the point yet. Little things we do can be big deals in the lives of people. Take the time everyday to make positive deposits in the lives of people. 

On the flip side, little things can also cause great damage in our lives. Song of Solomon 2:15 reads:

"Catch the foxes for us, the little foxes that spoil the vineyards, for our vineyards are in blossom." 

Foxes, a small animal, were very damaging to the vineyards. In an effort to reach the fruit, the foxes had to chew the vine in two for it to fall to the ground so they could eat. Larger animals could simply eat the fruit from the vine, ultimately saving the vine. Foxes destroyed the entire vine. Little things often creep up into our lives. We excuse those little things and allow them to reek havoc! Little things like: "I'll start eating better tomorrow", participating in gossip, one small stretch of the truth, manipulating to get your way, staring at a screen when people are talking to you, unforgiveness, a snappy comment, not sharing how much you appreciate someone...Again, I can go on!

Because little things can have such great power in our lives, I want to do better at taking the time to make sure the little things I invest in the lives of others are good things! My to-do list can wait. I do not want to waste a moment! I want my moments to be meaningful! And as always, I pray that the Holy Spirit and others in my life continue to help me look more fully in the mirror and deal with the "little" things that seek to destroy and eat away at my soul.

Are you still just reading this? Good grief, take a moment and do something little for someone! Send that text, make that call, write the letter, engage with the people in the room with you! Go!

Live a Meaningful Life!

Comments