Westward Bound Take VII

After enjoying Salida, we needed to find a place with full hookups so we could dump all the tanks on the camper. When we were driving into Salida a few days back, as we approached Coaldale, we could see the wildfire (you probably saw it on the news). On our way through, we saw an RV resort with a pool (about the only one out there) that wasn't as pricey as others. Camping out there was around $50/night after they uncharged you for all the people and in many places you had to pay for electricity in addition. That is why we have looked for more creative places to stay, that are free.
 We stayed the night in Coaldale, CO at Bighorn RV Resort. This was looking at the back of the park and the previous picture, the fire was in the front. We were able to watch the helicopters drop down, pick up water, and douse on the fire. We were also fascinated with these large planes that flew into the fire to assess, etc. At night, you could see the orange embers and sparks of the fire all over the mountain. The wind kept the smoke moving in a different direction from us.

 That evening while we were swimming, mountain goats were climbing up and down the mountain behind us. If you have trouble seeing the 3 on the mountain, look at the top left-you can see one of the chief males. 
 It was amazing watching these things just hop up and down these mountains with such confidence.
 They did this for about an hour and then the 2 males came out onto the ledge and all the others climbed up (6 total) and they left. It was amazing to watch their behavior.
 While we were there, we took care of some necessary duties. Why is it when you are somewhere new, the children become intrigued with the tasks you do every day? They wanted to fold the laundry. As a matter of fact, Jackson got really upset with me because I didn't stop him from playing to fold the last load??? What? I explained to them they would have plenty of opportunities to help with this at home. AND guess how much laundry they have folded since we have been home-yep, you guessed it. NONE!!
After our night in Coaldale, we hit the road again and landed in Buena Vista, CO. This place, oh, we loved it too. Everything we liked to do--right there, in the middle of town and everywhere. Buena Vista, the part where we loved, is a fairly newly developed area. So, we were looking for a creative place to stay!
 And of course, Johnny always delivers. Here we are, happily hooked up with water and electricity at the local VFW! The ladies inside were so kind. And hey, the view was great!
We stayed in the area of the river park. They really developed this community with families and outdoor activities in mind. There are bike trails, bouldering rocks, a pump track, skate/bike park, the river, outdoor stage, and little home front business and restaurants around you.
 The boys had to adjust to bouldering rocks instead of climbing rocks (2 very different skills). I wondered if they would ever figure out how to make it to the top of one. They tried, and tried, and tried...
 Until they found a way!
 I loved this--how about outdoor furniture made from concrete and ceramic tile? No need to worry about sun damaged fabric! It was really beautiful. 

 The section of water here at the park was much larger than Salida. The boys were worried about their dad as he went down the first time. They insisted we follow him down every rapid and John Gannon fussed at me because he said I should have gotten the throw rope from him in case he needs it.
 Maybe John Gannon was right, but thankfully, Johnny has skills in the water!





 And sometimes, when you go down water for the first time, you do not exactly know where to get out and end up on private property, that is posted and has cameras everywhere! 
 Have I ever told you all how much I love this man? Well, my words are just inadequate. I tell you, he is the greatest earthly gift I have EVER been given! You see, I don't have to "try" to love him. His example and the life he lives, it just somehow creates a deeper love for him every single day.


While on the river, Johnny started chatting with a guy. And guess what? The guy just happened to own all the property that we were on. He bought the area when it was undeveloped and created all the parks, houses, and business area. He told Johnny, "Just bring your camper and pull it out there." (in this lot right in front of the river and right next to the park and all the activities!) Of course, Johnny was a little skeptical at first. After that guy left, he asked another guy if he knew who "that guy" was and the guy said, "Oh, that's Jed. He developed all this." And after a quick Google search :), it was so... So, we retrieved our camper from the VFW and moved right in. Wow...another perfect timing event that we attribute to the hand of God. We stayed in Buena Vista 2 more nights, enjoying some of what it had to offer. Our free camping spot, right where we wanted to be...absolutely gorgeous!



One evening we drove to another park in the town and enjoyed an acoustic concert. The boys feasted on some chicken and pizza. Johnny and I held out for much better things!


Again, we all loved this place. Here are some pictures of the rest of our time there. John Gannon really improved his bouldering skills. You can't appreciate the strength it requires to do this unless you try! It is something watching him be able to outperform me now in some things. (A smile that he is healthy and growing but a tear that it is passing so quickly)
 And this dude, well, once he figures out a way up, he flies up. And when he sees a kid struggling, he gets down and offers them a step by step tutorial. 
 How they did this so often, I will never know. After climbing a few times, I would take a break on the rock circle!
 John Gannon fell in love with the pump track. He even started a little risk taking behavior by systematically popping wheelies on 3 of the hills! I even have video to prove it!


  And then...imagine my shock when he decided he was going to ride on the bike/skate park! I was hesitant to do this. So, after much coercion, I gave in and made a few loops. Going up and down some of those things was a little unnerving! What got into the boy?
 We rode and walked the trails.


 The boys were constantly scanning for friends. They played with countless children while we were here. In no time, they would have a group game going.



 This is the only picture of Jack on his bike. He didn't want to do the pump track or the skate park. But his riding confidence really increased on this trip.



 One evening they had a Grateful Dead cover band concert in the park. To be honest, we joked that we probably wouldn't be staying long, assuming there would be a strong scent in the air (I mean we are in Colorado). But no, it was a really family friendly event. Kids were everywhere and not even the faintest smell!

 And yes, before you knew it, a group game commenced at the concert!
And guess who wanted to go down that section of the river? Yes, my six year old. I told Johnny this morning that if I had just looked at pictures, I would have refused for him to go down. John Gannon tapped out on this one. He said it was just too big and two of those rapids were too dangerous for him (they required some maneuvering to safely go down).  Jackson loved it, of course!




 And they made it! Look at that little guy climb his way out!
 Isn't he just the cutest thing?
Johnny and I ate really well on this trip--another advantage of the camper. I think that is what kept us from wanting to eat out! I took pictures of some more food in another town I think...
Remember the guy I told you about from Kentucky that Johnny met in Salida? Well, he showed up at Buena Vista! One day, the boys and I shuttled them to do a section of the river called "The Fractions." The drive was neat--meet elephant rock!
Now, the quality of these next few pictures...JG was operating the camera. I was driving back from dropping the guys off. When I reached into my purse, I accidentally touched my phone and dialed a friend. Jackson was taking care of that conversation. And here I was, having to drive this massive truck through these narrow rock tunnels! I was a little nervous!




While Johnny was on the river, the boys and I took the opportunity to explore the history of the area at the local museum.
 They were given a "treasure hunt" when we first arrived and they searched relentlessly for the items. We found them all except one. The man in the museum was so kind to us and answered all the questions we had.
 Upstairs, they had a room full of a model train-this was only one corner. There was a man in there that told us all about the creation of the railroad system (which included town gun duels, and the such). Come to find out, that road we road with the tunnels-was an old railroad!

 From there, the museum director gave us tickets to go downtown to the old train depot and check it out. So, we struck out to see what we could find!
 Again, we had another great teacher.
 The boys were fascinated with the inside of caboose. They said they want one at home to play in!


We played at the park where the depot was located.


 And back at the area we were out, a guy told us where more boulders were. So, we finally located it on the bikes!






 I loved how the area was designed.  Most of the businesses had upstairs living quarters. This was my favorite store. Everything inside was hand-made by Colorado artisans. I fell in love with this chopping board (Johnny ruined the one I had by leaving his morning cup of water on it repeatedly.) I debated for days if I should buy it or not. I didn't and guess what--I REGRET IT!!!! I can't find anything like it online, even though I searched for the artist's name... Anyway, if any of you are going to be the in the area, I'd love for you to pick it up for me!!
I did have an appointment with the Chocolate Therapist while in the store. I enjoyed that over 4 days! And by the way, she has written a whole book dedicated to the benefits of dark chocolate.
 Again, Buena Vista was indeed another great place for us!
 These three guys right here, they played every single day! We were able to connect with his parents as well. I had to get their picture together our last night!
Our next destination will remind us why it is so much better not to have plans!

And p.s. There seems to be quite a few of you reading about our trip. Please know that I do not proof read these posts. After Johnny reads them he might mention to me a mistake, and I will go back and edit but that is about the extent of that! This is just my version of scrap-booking without all the mess and having bulky books everywhere!

Live a Meaningful Life!







Comments