A Bear Creek Kind of Saturday

We got to spend the day with some friends for a pleasant adventure paddle down Bear Creek! This was a trip for firsts....Jackson's first trip down a river and John Gannon's first trip down the river on his paddle board.

Here we are all ready for the adventure!

Oh, the anticipation...





And we are off!



Navigating some of the first rapids...




Oh, and have I ever mentioned that Jackson loves picking flowers? Of course he found some on this trip as well!

See that kid hanging from the rope?  Yep--he couldn't wait to find the swing.  He kept mentioning it to his friend Madison, conjuring tales of how fun the swing and drop was going to be. So, he was first--docked the paddle board, navigated the dirt hill, finally got the rope and shebang...he was off!  The only problem--he never let go--would have kissed a tree had his legs been a little shorter! Needless to say, he was done with rope swinging/jumping!


On the other hand--you see that splash of water? Yep, that's Jackson--he let go of the rope--a few times in a row!


Lunchtime--2 boys, 6 Lunchables?  Whew...where does it all go?


Navigating the largest rapid of the day!



Now that picture above (of me) makes the impression that all was well...just a few seconds later I flip over (with no nose plugs on). I was no where near ready to roll and after inhaling some water, I bailed!  I resurfaced, grabbed the boat and paddle--coughed a while then finally burped it out! Pretty huh?  I have to say that despite missing my combat roll, I was proud that I actually tried to play & surf! I am usually satisfied with just making it through the rapid safely (of which I did this time). It was the playing that got me in trouble!

Our friend, Tessa, on the other hand...her barge was right side up all day long!!



Some other random fun the boys found--a natural water slide with a climbing rope helping you to the top and a nice jumping rock!



And while I don't have a picture of this I think it is worth telling. First, it is pretty funny that I flipped on Bear Creek. It really is a very forgiving river and doesn't require much skill to get down the river uneventfully.  Well, a little after my spill we got to a really small wave in which we were going to surf.  I jokingly say, "I'll flip!" We all laugh and somebody even says--there is no way you can flip--it's too shallow!  Sure--how can I flip in less than knee high water, right? I have surfed that little safe spot EVERYTIME I have been on the Bear.  Well...guess what? It is possible to flip in water that shallow but impossible for me to get back over--even though both hands can touch the bottom and our friend Brian is trying to turn my boat over for me!!!!  So, YES--I had to bail for the second time at the Bear--at this point--it is pretty hilarious!

And the funniest thing captured?  A video of Johnny and Brian trying something crazy in the canoe!! Can't get the video to upload on here...Oh well!  If you ever visit us and want a good laugh--ask me to show it to you!

Despite Jackson's serious glare, it was a fun, peaceful, enjoyable day!


Live a Meaningful Life!

Comments