My very "green" thumb!

For the first time in my life, I have planted a garden--a small one, to practice with this year.  So far, I have battled bugs and think some of my pepper plants may have that blossom rot stuff--not sure--but we'll see what survives over the next few weeks.  I have already harvested lots of green onions and about 5 peppers!  I will soon be picking at least 2 tomatoes--assuming the plants survive the bug ambush!  One of my blue berry bushes is hanging from the weight of loads of little berries and I have a few small apples.  But the purpose of today's story is this...

One of the things I was most excited about planting was cilantro. We make lots of salsa and love it on rice. The thought of being able to walk outside and get cilantro was exciting--I usually have all the other salsa ingredients but the cilantro--always requires a trip to the store!  So, I planted my tiny seeds--lots of them--and about 7 days later, little shoots were springing up everywhere I had planted! I was too excited, I went out everyday and looked at my cilantro.  It looked a lot like grass and I wondered when the little leaves would be forming.  I asked my friend, who usually grows her on cilantro if it looked like grass when it started growing, and she said yes. That alleviated all the worries I had about the amount of time it was taking for my precious little cilantro to make leaves. For about 3 weeks I took care of it--watering it, pulling up any weeds I thought might threaten the little stuff...

Last Saturday, Brian and Tessa came over and he was inspecting the garden.  I showed him my cilantro   and Brian says, "Paula, I think that is grass."  I say, "Well, I thought that at first but I asked Farra if it looked like grass when it starts coming up and she said it did." SO, he bent down, pulled a piece up and took a chew.  He concluded it was grass...I had been pampering and taking care of grass--for THREE WEEKS--then we laughed--you know--when your belly hurts laugh...I am sure I will continue to be reminded of the story every few years or so! I am so thankful to have good friends!!

As for application of the story...
1.  I am truly a "green" gardener.

2.  Unfortunately this isn't the first time in my life I have taken time to nurture something that was a waste of time.  As I look back on my life, I have invested lots of time and thought into things that were absolutely a waste. At the time, I thought these things were really important--but as time has passed I realize what a waste.

3.  Get involved in people's business sometimes...If Brian had not let me know I was growing grass--I may have ruined some rice or an entire jar of salsa trying out the new "hybrid" cilantro. I am almost certain I would have chopped it up and tried it at least once!  To be honest, when I read the new testament, I often visualize people living in real communities--having real relationships--you know when people care about each other, encourage each other, and walk through each other's junk together. (I see too many people try to hide their problems--always afraid of what people will think or who will go "spread the word." While those concerns are valid--I think it truly highlights a deeper need--for us to create environments in which people are free to share their problems without the fear of rejection. But in return, are willing to allow people to walk with them through their issues--instead of running away.  At our core, we are all a mess...

4. Sometimes, we find comfort in the wrong advice.  First--to clarify--my friend Farra only had limited information--just my one liner--does it look like grass when it first comes up--if she had actually saw my stuff--she would have known.  But I found comfort in her words--I didn't doubt anymore and thought my cilantro, was indeed cilantro! I was believing a lie... It reminds me of broke people asking broke people how to manage their money or someone that is out of shape trying to tell someone else how to get in shape.  Seek wise counsel!  (*again--just a disclaimer--when you seek wise counsel make sure you give them all the facts--don't tell only the parts that make you appear ok--tell it all--and if necessary--bring a picture!)

Live a Meaningful Life!

Comments